I have a computer with XP sp2 and all updates.I run Nortons antivirus
and sygate firewall. The computer has 5 user accounts. Two other
computers are connected at various times via network cable(only one at a
time). These comps connect to the net via ics and share the printer. I
have an ADSL connection via usb.
For these computers to use the net or printer my computer only needs to
be turned on ie no one logged on.
My question is: Are my antivirus and firewall running in this state or
do they only load when someone logs on? How do I start them if they are
not running?

Kev

Gordon

Locoman wrote:
> I have a computer with XP sp2 and all updates.I run Nortons antivirus
> and sygate firewall. The computer has 5 user accounts. Two other
> computers are connected at various times via network cable(only one at a
> time). These comps connect to the net via ics and share the printer. I
> have an ADSL connection via usb.
> For these computers to use the net or printer my computer only needs to
> be turned on ie no one logged on.
> My question is: Are my antivirus and firewall running in this state or
> do they only load when someone logs on? How do I start them if they are
> not running?
>

> Kev

You should have AV and firewall on ALL computers.

The quick answer is no...they do not initialize until you log on.

In addition, since you are not behind a hardware firewall, you need to have
*ALL* computers protected with AV and firewall. ICS does not allow NAT, so
all computers no protected individually are at risk.

Your best solution is to buy a wired router and install inexpensive NIC
cards in each computer. You can do this (router, 3 NICs) for around $50.00.

Bobby

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> The quick answer is no...they do not initialize until you log on.
>
> In addition, since you are not behind a hardware firewall, you need to have
> *ALL* computers protected with AV and firewall. ICS does not allow NAT, so
> all computers no protected individually are at risk.
>
> Your best solution is to buy a wired router and install inexpensive NIC
> cards in each computer. You can do this (router, 3 NICs) for around $50.00.
>

> Bobby
>
> "Locoman" <yourkidding@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a computer with XP sp2 and all updates.I run Nortons antivirus and
>>sygate firewall. The computer has 5 user accounts. Two other computers are
>>connected at various times via network cable(only one at a time). These
>>comps connect to the net via ics and share the printer. I have an ADSL
>>connection via usb.
>>For these computers to use the net or printer my computer only needs to be
>>turned on ie no one logged on.
>>My question is: Are my antivirus and firewall running in this state or do
>>they only load when someone logs on? How do I start them if they are not
>>running?
>>

>>Kev

Thanks Bobby and Gordon.
I should have added that both other comps have antivirus and
firewall.They belong to kids(18 and 20) who will one day leave home so I
am not interestd in the router. Already have the NICs(thats how they
connect)
This was mainly a curiosity issue. Enough loads on my comp ie the
server, to allow access but not stop intrusions.

Kev