What the hell did they do to the forums!?

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Seriously, I wish they would just stop changing things here for the sake of change! I hardly recognize my beloved linux forum here at THG :(

-Zorak

The 'reply to' button is much missed... I can see some improvements but the thread based PM's and lots of other new things are taking some serious getting used to. I've not tried it with Lynx yet....

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Heh. To tell you the truth, i didn't know it was possible before to post on these forums using lynx or links2 or any of the other shell based browsers.

-Zorak

The new people that took control have some kind of love affair with MD. If they had spent more time consulting with us, this change might not have been so drastic... but they came like thieves in the night and changed everything without so much as a word to the rest of us in the community.

I, for one, am not happy about it. Change is good when functionality is improved... but it seems they have stripped away some of the stuff we loved because they prefer this forum software over anything else. I just wish they had tried to work with us instead of making it seem like they're against us.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well, Zoron, I must say that I couldn't agree with you more on that point about functionality. I am a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but even more than that, if you are going to change something, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T MAKE IT WORSE!

I never understood why people like to suddenly change interfaces just because they think they feel old. If some new functionality is needed, by all means add it, but don't take functionality away :( (This is reflected by windows changing their UI to something much less efficient IMO).

I do have one question for you though: what is MD?

Thanks.

-Zorak

P.S. These new animated smilies in the side bar are driving me INSANE. I can barely type this message because all of the movement i see out of the corner of my eye makes it very hard to concentrate.

MD is the software running the forum... if you look down near the bottom, you'll see MyDiscussions.Net Forum, Version 2007.1. The old format we know and love was using iForums.

Personally, I prefer phpBB, but maybe that's just me. (Wait, I know it's not just me). iForums was ok because it still had much of the same form and function as boards using phpBB. However, MD so far isn't winning me over. I really miss the "Reply to" button... and for the MD lovers out there I don't mean the damn "Quote" button you've set up... I mean a real "Reply To" button that puts "In Reply To Zorak" (for example) right at the top of your message rather than quoting out the whole damn message again.

As for the smilies, I usually use the quick reply at the bottom... not so much so I don't have to look at them, but because it's quicker and easier.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
PHPBB is my choice too.

These forums have really gone down hill :( I had trouble finding the Linux forums, and finding the CPU forums is like digging through archives... The colors are wrong, the layout is wrong, it looks like something Microsoft made, ie: Wrong! :lol: :na:

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Good looks, little functionality...maybe it's running on a mac :pt1cable:

If the forumz are down every other day then I guess we know what other OS it might be running...

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
lol, not a big fan of Novell anymore eh?

I think maybe there could still be redemption for them as they have caused MS to become ensnared by GPLv3 as I understand it :D

-Zorak

TRENDING THREADS