VISTA: NEEDED OR NOT!

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
ok, here's the deal. i would consider myself to be a hardcore gamer wannabe thus this means i want to play the future games at DX10 NOT DX9.

i am aware DX10 games are not far away from us right now. i heard that DX10 can ONLY be run in Vista. this is totally crazy and if that's true then ill have to get it. its also crazy because i recently got a 8800GTS640MB thinking that this was all that was needed to run the future DX10 games like Crysis, Call of Duty 4 bla bla.

If vista is the only way to run DX10 well i guess there is one thing now left to stop me from getting it. basically, i have this idea that Vista has issues as it has been released early. as well i been seeing on many occasions people saying, ''oh my vista is causing me problems with this and that''.

so can you please let me about the deal please?

thank you and will be hearing from you shortly.

jonj

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
if you r getting vista for games i would wait for service pack 1 to come out. i read that the beta is going to be released in late july, and if that goes well the retail would be released in november. that is about the same time crysis is coming out.

I have vista on my other computer and i hate it. have 2 gigs ram and vista uses almost all of it when my computer is not doingh anything;idle.
i am waitin for service pack 1 before i get it for my gaming rig.

Jetpac

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Merwan: Vista is a GOOD upgrade i have not had any problems with the games i play (Source games, BF2142 and all the likes of them, i have alot). its not nessisary at the moment so if you can live with out an upgrade then live without it. There are not that many, if any (that are good) DX10 games relased at the moment. so if i were you i would Hold off on Vista (unless you see a good deal price wise or get it free).

JonJ: I suggest you have a look at what processes are running, i have 2gb Ram and am running vista, it uses about 750-800mb Idle.. hardly "Almost All" and this system usage has no affect on anything ive been doing. Vista runs very well, functionality is great. RAM is there to be used.. Vista using alot is really not as bigger deal as everyone makes it out to be.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Hmm, I'm stuck on deciding between staying with XP vs going to Vista too. In my readings, I'm sure I came across something somewhere (ha) that said Vista will use all the memory available to it, until another program needs or asks for it, at which time it's freed up..?

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I have to say that vista is one of worst os's microsoft has ever released and has not lived up to its promise. I have backed off of the vista debate as many people believe in vista in this forum and i actually started to believe in vista myself as i felt not this many people could be wrong. But there are many questions and problems left in my own mind such as the slow file copy, move, delete that have yet to be resolved. The slow file copy thing bugs me the most as this is such a core thing to an os. There are also numerous backward software and hardware compatibility problems that have not been addressed; however, if future service pack fixes these problems; then perhaps vista has a future. But i am speaking from business use standpoint; not gaming use. I had also read previously of the great promise of dx-10 and even promoted it somewhat in this forum; but then recently read that this promise might be overblown and that dx-10 might actually deliver something in vista that is comparable to what we currently have in xp. Currently, I dont know what to believe other than I am sticking with xp until things are worked out; hopefully, sp1 offers something; but i am skeptical.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

It's simply allocating the memory so that it doesn't go unused (using the memory for allowing quicker access time to open new apps, etc). That memory is then used when an open app requests the memory space. It's really kind of silly for an OS to have unused memory and not have a better way to put that space to good use - Vista has found a pretty decent way to do that.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
pk,

good to here from you; i do disagree as why do i want something like quickbooks preloaded into memory when i am not using it; it loads in seconds with xp; perhaps vista needs to cheat to meet the the performance of xp by prefetching stuff into memory. Its just seems stupid; but then again im talking from business point of view. Oh by the way, all that prefetching costs a lot of battery life for laptops to. Im sorry if i seem cynical but this has not been one of my better vista weeks. i can no longer recommend vista based on my own experience; but i am business user and never no what to expect when i come to a clients computer (ie: 8 hours to copy files that should take less than an hour). Come on man --- what the hell is going on here.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

It preloads only using apps that have been used in the past, based on amount of usage. It gathers the usage stats when an apps loads. MS, like many companies, have found people use computers in general patterns. So, for business people that come in every day at 8AM and open Word, performance is increased for that app. I support a government office and we see a 2.5X increase in app performance (mostly graphical apps) over XP on similar hardware. However, we also use better than normal business hardware rated for Vista - no battery decreases, actually quite a bit better network and app performance. Incredibly stable over XP. We also use support people who know how to configure/manage Vista apps. We have not experienced any of the problems you have - however, as everyone knows, your hardware mileage may vary for your OS.