super777

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hi, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 with 2 HDDs in a Raid 0 configuration, and I want to Install XP so I can dual boot between the two OSs. I have tried shrinking the partition in Vista, but when I try to install XP, the screen doesn't identify either of my partitions. It says that there is no disk available (or something along those lines).

I'm assuming that this has something to do with my raid set up. I would like to be able to maintain my raid performance in both of the OSs. Also, when I do shrink my partition, I only get a small portion of the drive to seperate.

If anybody could help me fix this, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Not in any danger, no... it's just that RAID 0 isn't redundant and if one hard drive goes, you data goes with it. Backing up is a great solution though... so you're safe that way.

For what I do, it's not worth the hassle... because the performance increase would be negligible.
My... you're just asking for disaster, aren't you? ;)

(Two partitions with 2 separate OSes on a RAID 0 array... yikes!)

Well, first, you're going to need a driver for your RAID controller in XP. You have to load it when it prompts you to press F6 to load additional drivers. This will require a floppy drive and, of course, a floppy disk. Once the drivers are loaded, you should be able to see all the partitions on your array.

super777

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Alright thanks :D I actually have that floppy in my hand right now :D

But before I try...you worry me, what am I doin to ask for disaster?? XD I'm assuming that it has to do with hard drive fail rate, which isn't too big of an issue, because I can backup my important files onto my iPod...but I'm curious, am I really putting my machine in danger?

Not in any danger, no... it's just that RAID 0 isn't redundant and if one hard drive goes, you data goes with it. Backing up is a great solution though... so you're safe that way.

For what I do, it's not worth the hassle... because the performance increase would be negligible.

Solution