Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
This is my current problem: I turn on my computer, it goes to the windows boot up page with the scrolling bar, then locks up and restarts. I tried pressing F8 and choosing "disable automatic restart on system failure" which causes a BSOD instead of a restart. All it says is "Windows has detected a problem" and says STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBAD6B174, 0xF7F5D44, 0xF78F5A40) at the bottom. The strange thing is, it works fine in safe mode but there I can't really do anything.

Here's the whole story: I have been having wierd problems with my copy of XP MCE for months. This has been my 3rd try to do a repair installation and still it gives me troubles. Every time while doing the repair installation, it fails to copy these files:

pro_seg5.swf
quartz.dll
qasf.dll
qcap.dll
qdv.dll
qdvd.dll
qedit.dll
qedwipes.dll
qmgr.inf
query.dll

Then Windows installs successfully and I get this issue at startup. Someone please help me before I go crazy. :eek:

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I didn't mention that my video card started messing up in XP right before the first repair-but works fine in Windows Vista (I'm doing a dual drive boot). Even now in safe mode (which I am now) the screen flickers and windows tend to get all wierd when I drag them.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Given you don't have a problem in Safe Mode it's likely a driver problem. Do you have all your drivers update to the most recent version?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for the help but actually I found the problem and fixed it yesterday. It was the graphics card driver all along. To find it I typed in the code at the windows website and found an article explaining it was a driver problem. The computer works fine now!!

(I think I'll set a system restore point for future problems)