dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Hey people,
I have a few questions regarding the academic version of Vista.
http://www.directron.com/66i00488.html
I can get this version for only $65!(with student ID and all that stuff) What i want to know, the box says its an upgrade version. Is it possible to do a new install with a scratch-built system with this? Also, for some odd reason, the specs on the page say its an OEM version for system builders. Does that mean I'll have to start with a new system anyway? If it is just an upgrade version, i have to have an existing windows OS right?
C'mon forum-gods! Let me know if I should go ahead with this version on my new build!
Thanks! :sol:

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'd like to know as well even though I already dropped $150 on a new Vista Business Upgrade. My old XP Pro Upgrade Academic Edition seemed to be pretty much like a real upgrade version. But with all the crazy licensing restrictions Microsoft has made up for Vista, I don't trust any deals they offer. For some reason I had a feeling Vista Academic Edition was like an OEM, which is one reason why I didn't pursue it. Plus, I couldn't really find it sold anywhere I trusted. And I couldn't find a Business edition of it. I wish I wasn't lazy so I would've gotten the free Vista Business Edition when I had the chance.