Traffic Monitoring

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 9, 2007 11:48:01 PM

Guys,

I've recently noticed a severe drop in the speed of my adsl connection.

I've performed a speed test which confirmed that things are running v. slow. I've sent the results of that test to my ISP for investigation, however, I have a nagging doubt in my mind that the problem may be my Nintendo Wii (which is sharing my wireless router). This is a new addition to my home network.

My (limited) understanding of computer networks makes me think the speed test was specific to my laptop, and if, in fact it's the Wii that's hogging all the bandwidth then the test I did will not exactly be accurate.

I realise I could simply unplug the Wii and run the test again, but what I'd like to do is analyse the traffic going through the router to see what is actually occurring.

Can anyone recommend a tool for such a job?

If it helps, I have a Netgear wireless router with built in modem.
There are no devices physically wired to the router.
The wireless network is secured with a WEP key.
There is only my laptop and the Wii with the key.
(Sorry I can't be more specific about model numbers of the router - Sky have re-branded it and it's not obvious - if you need it I can try and find it).

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

DIYC.

More about : traffic monitoring

July 2, 2007 11:35:08 PM

Hi,

To verify the actual speed of your network you can disconnect your Wii to see if it increases.

For network monitoring (to check what is going through your wire) you can install a sniffer program like Wireshark.
Anonymous
May 24, 2010 11:11:33 AM

Try SOlarWinds orion Netflow traffic monitoring software which Identifies which users, applications, and protocols are consuming the most network bandwidth and highlights the IP addresses of the top talkers on the network.
check it at
http://www.solarwinds.com
!