greggdennis

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
hi, ive just joined the forum to ask for your guys help. ive been directed to this forum from my friend who has been trying to help me with this problem for a while but to no avail. now.. down to the problem. basically both winodws movie maker and windows media player will not work. to start with windows movie maker. when trying to import any footage into collections be it wmv or whatever it comes up with the error message.......C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0004.wmv could not be imported. Class not register[/b]ed...... the issue with this is that im quite a keen video photographer and as a result i cannot get any footage from my mini dv cam onto my pc for editting. now onto windows media player... well this just wont play anything. be it wmv. wma, mp3, mpeg4 or whatever.. it comes up with the error message....Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help. diercting me to a web page about why it cant play a file. im sorry this isnt very detailed but im not great with computers and any help will be well appreciated. it just happened one day about 2 months ago, i cant reallly remember and have tried getting all updates etc but just wont work... it is starting to worry me. once again thankyou in advance.

peace
gregg

Does the Cam connect Firewire or USB?

Wife had a bad USB Cam cable once, very hard to track down that as the problem, without a known good cable to swap out with, most newer Cams are Firewire but still could be a bad cable.

Does Media Player have the CODECs it needs to playback what you're trying to playback.

A simple explanation of CODECs is like an interpreter for Media Player, without the interpreter Media Player cannot playback the file, your Cam should have had software to cover that senario if it was needed.

However most video files downloaded from the internet require some kind of CODEC installed on your machine to playback the file.

I don't know if this is helping you or not there could be other problems, corrupted software, bad memory modules, overclocked machine, to name a few, but we have to start somewhere.

greggdennis

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
i remember WMP complaining about codecs or something, and to answer your other question the camera is connected by firewire. can i clarify that i dont think it is due to the camcorder that WMp is not working. it worked fine with footage from the camera but WMP just wont play anything at all now. the problem with movie maker is that i cannot import, play, or edit files on it.

thanks for the help

peace
gregg

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006

Did your camera come with software for your computer? If so, try to import or copy from camera to PC. Usually the software for the camera should provide the necessary codecs to play files created by their device.
For a whole lot of codecs that are trustable go to;

http://www.codecpackguide.com/klcodec.htm

Which version of media player are you using? If your using 11, try going back to version 10!

greggdennis

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
ok thanks. no my camera didnt come with software and yh i am running on media player 11 but the problem occured on 10! basically which codecs will i need to download??????

greggdennis

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
basically ive just gone and installed the codecs from the link you advised but during setup i got an error message which read:

unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5
any ideas on what that may be or if its important or not. as i said im about as useful as a snooze button on a smoke alarm when it comes to computers :) thanks for the help so far ps. just clicked on and has done this with every one i think. hmm my pc really doesnt like me and im in dire straights to fix it now. please if you have any clues or ideas at all im all ears. thanks