On GNOME Panels...

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
As of late, I have been on a bit of a crusade to remove any and all icons from my desktop in linux in favor of a completely clean looking system (and one that will befuddle my sister when she tries to use my computer). Upon learning how to remove those annoying automount icons and home folder icons, I realized that I would also like to remove my GNOME panels in favor of having a completely minimal desktop.

The only trouble with this is that I still use the system tray extensively. What I am wondering then is, do any of you know if there is a way to resize a GNOME panel so it doesn't go all the way across the bottom or top of the Desktop? Or is there a way to just have a floating system tray without having an entire GNOME panel?

I've been looking this up on google but with no success, and using the autohide panel feature is a close substitute, but I'd really just like to have only the system tray.

Thanks.

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well, I resolved my problem. The solution was embarrasingly simple and I was kicking myself for not seeing it the first time around. Sorry to bother you guys.

-Zorak

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The solution was to right click on the panel, go to properties, and then uncheck the box that says "expand".

Sorry for not posting about that sooner.

-Zorak