Sign in with
Your question

A question about ALSA/ Linux sound

Tags:
  • Music
  • Linux
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
July 31, 2007 5:50:16 AM

First let me say this: I like to use teamspeak to talk to my friends when I play games. I also like to listen to my music when I play games.

The thing is, when I do this in windows, I can have both my music AND teamspeak running at the same time so that I can listen to my music and then if my buddy says something it will just transmit his voice on top of the music in the background. The real kicker is, this doesn't work in Linux for some reason. Is there something here that I am missing? Is there a reason why linux will only play one audio stream at the same time? (I also can't play a movie and music at the same time)

I admit that the latter is a strange example that nobody would really want to do, but it is an example of something that is possible in windows that I can't do in linux for some reason, and also it proves that this is not something specific to TeamSpeak plus whatever audio player I use. If someone could tell me if there is a way around this, I'd really appreciate it.

-Zorak

P.S. (Sorry this wasn't in the original post) It seems that I can't even watch a youtube video while Teamspeak is running. This may not be particularly helpful in diagnosing the problem here, but it is another example of the behavior i am describing.

More about : question alsa linux sound

a b 5 Linux
July 31, 2007 2:39:21 PM

The problem or non-problem may be Teamspeak itself ( or the audio interface it is using ) since Linux and the hardware definitely can play multiple streams simultaneously.

On my system I can play several streams at the same time, which is usually annoying and undesirable, but it does work.

This could be a limitation in teamspeak, the implementation of the audio library it is using or something the teamspeak developers did intentionally.

There may be an option to modify this behavior. Wouldn't hurt to look at the docs and mess around with it.

Good luck :) 
a b 5 Linux
August 1, 2007 4:04:05 AM

linux_0 said:
The problem or non-problem may be Teamspeak itself ( or the audio interface it is using ) since Linux and the hardware definitely can play multiple streams simultaneously.

On my system I can play several streams at the same time, which is usually annoying and undesirable, but it does work.

This could be a limitation in teamspeak, the implementation of the audio library it is using or something the teamspeak developers did intentionally.

There may be an option to modify this behavior. Wouldn't hurt to look at the docs and mess around with it.

Good luck :) 

It probably wants to hog /dev/dsp for itself. VMware does this- if anything else uses the sound at the same time it does, it gives an error that /dev/dsp is busy or missing.
August 2, 2007 6:52:20 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I can see now that this is indeed just an artifact from TeamSpeak. I will now go and bitch to them at their forums about their linux client ;D

-Zorak
!