Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Hi guys...haven't posted much here so please bear with an old coot who is having a BAD day. :-(

I have multiple partitions on my HD so that I can have things like the OS and the page file on separate partitions for ease of defrag etc. (OK, haven't done this before and am not sure how smart it was after all)

Anyway, I decided to move "My Documents" folder from the C drive to a much larger partition to save fragmentation on C. No big deal, it's easy to do.

But here's the kicker... once I'd created a My Documents folder in the larger partition, I decided to click on it and move it to the top of the list of folders, using the My Computer screen.

Instead of it just moving to the top of the list, a new folder appeared with a humongous name of numbers and letters containing and "Empty" folder called My Documents...which I can't access or move delete or anything (assuming it's actually there and not deleted by Gates evil).

I've lost over 800MB of stuff in there and can't seem to get at it. Undelete programs can't find anything in that partition either....and guess who had System Restore turned off...and forgot? Old farts FTL.

If I create a new folder as a test and then click on it and move it up to the top weird numbered folder it too gets swallowed like into a black hole. It appears there but again I can't access it. This is weird.
Anyone got any clues as to what the hell happened?
Screeny of MY Computer image..inside that weird file. Notice extra folders that I tried to move to the top of the list that got gobbled....they were empty though when I did it.

EDITED:

Panic over. Somehow Windows lost the plot and placed them in a log file in a system folder....which I was finally able to move and then unlock all my files and copy them to another spot. Phew.

Weird and annoying....thanks anyway.

Untitled-1.jpg

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
My Documents is a system folder. I always create folders on a different partition for storage and not use My Documents. In most programs you can set them up to open a particular folder when you save something or at least they give you a choice of where to save something, the Default is almost always My Documents. Once you start doing this it is really easy and since you set up the system usually easier to find things.