ERROR Invalid Boot.Ini??

I get this when I boot, hard or soft. I've seen this for awhile at boot
and it boots fine after that is displayed. I would like to fix it though
if I can. Is there a way. WinXP Pro with all updates to date. Appreciate
any info.

Thanx,
Bob
5 answers Last reply
More about error invalid boot

    Hi Bob,

    The file is likely corrupt. Boot with the WinXP CD, load the Recovery
    Console. From the prompt, run:

    attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.init
    del C:\boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > The file is likely corrupt. Boot with the WinXP CD, load the Recovery
    > Console. From the prompt, run:
    >
    > attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.init
    > del C:\boot.ini
    > bootcfg /rebuild

    heh heh it was corrupt alright Rick, that pup had left the pen. Read my
    reply to Will for a bit of explanation if ya want. I did the bootcfg
    /rebuild like you said and I now have a valid boot.ini where it's
    supposed to be. Thanx for the help

    Bob

    Hi Bob

    Could you please post the contents of your boot.ini file?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi Bob
    >
    > Could you please post the contents of your boot.ini file?

    OK Will I don't believe I had a boot.ini in c:\

    I did have one in a BOOTWIZ directory that hadn't been accessed since
    5/05. I have a couple linux distros on here and have for awhile. Perhaps
    back then I had tried Bootwiz and didn't use it any longer. I'm not sure
    what happened but I lost the boot.ini on C:\, using the attrib command
    to change it so I could delete it gave me a file not found type error.
    I got it fixed now. Thanx

    Bob

    Tried running the attrib command from the recovery console but all i get is
    an error saying that the parameter is not valid. What gives?

    Moses

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > The file is likely corrupt. Boot with the WinXP CD, load the Recovery
    > Console. From the prompt, run:
    >
    > attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.init
    > del C:\boot.ini
    > bootcfg /rebuild
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Bob Barnes" <bsoderror@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I get this when I boot, hard or soft. I've seen this for awhile at boot and
    > >it boots fine after that is displayed. I would like to fix it though if I
    > >can. Is there a way. WinXP Pro with all updates to date. Appreciate any
    > >info.
    > >
    > > Thanx,
    > > Bob

Boot Microsoft Windows XP