  • Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 9, 2005 8:21:34 AM

I get this when I boot, hard or soft. I've seen this for awhile at boot
and it boots fine after that is displayed. I would like to fix it though
if I can. Is there a way. WinXP Pro with all updates to date. Appreciate
any info.

Thanx,
Bob

More about : error invalid boot ini

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:54:05 AM

Hi Bob,

The file is likely corrupt. Boot with the WinXP CD, load the Recovery
Console. From the prompt, run:

attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.init
del C:\boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bob Barnes" <bsoderror@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I get this when I boot, hard or soft. I've seen this for awhile at boot and
>it boots fine after that is displayed. I would like to fix it though if I
>can. Is there a way. WinXP Pro with all updates to date. Appreciate any
>info.
>
> Thanx,
> Bob
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:54:06 AM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> The file is likely corrupt. Boot with the WinXP CD, load the Recovery
> Console. From the prompt, run:
>
> attrib -h -s -r C:\boot.init
> del C:\boot.ini
> bootcfg /rebuild

heh heh it was corrupt alright Rick, that pup had left the pen. Read my
reply to Will for a bit of explanation if ya want. I did the bootcfg
/rebuild like you said and I now have a valid boot.ini where it's
supposed to be. Thanx for the help

Bob
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:31:20 PM

Hi Bob

Could you please post the contents of your boot.ini file?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bob Barnes" <bsoderror@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I get this when I boot, hard or soft. I've seen this for awhile at boot and
>it boots fine after that is displayed. I would like to fix it though if I
>can. Is there a way. WinXP Pro with all updates to date. Appreciate any
>info.
>
> Thanx,
> Bob
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:31:21 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Bob
>
> Could you please post the contents of your boot.ini file?

OK Will I don't believe I had a boot.ini in c:\

I did have one in a BOOTWIZ directory that hadn't been accessed since
5/05. I have a couple linux distros on here and have for awhile. Perhaps
back then I had tried Bootwiz and didn't use it any longer. I'm not sure
what happened but I lost the boot.ini on C:\, using the attrib command
to change it so I could delete it gave me a file not found type error.
I got it fixed now. Thanx

Bob
May 9, 2005 7:48:02 PM

Tried running the attrib command from the recovery console but all i get is
an error saying that the parameter is not valid. What gives?

Moses

!