Sign in with
Your question

Vista "Complete PC Backup" missing? HELP!

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 19, 2007 10:41:43 PM

The first time I ran the backup and restore center last night it looked very nice. The "Complete PC Backup" option really caught my eye and I was very excited about that feature. But I made the horrible mistake of trying to configure a reccuring backup of select files first. The tool will not let me pick specific files so I cancelled the backup while it was in process. Now I want to use the Complete PC Backup feature BUT IT IS NOW GONE! All I have in the menu now is "Backup Files" and "Restore Files". I have been working on this for 2 days now and I cannot get the option back. PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED THIS FEATURE!

I am pulling my hair out trying to use Vista's new backup utility. It is so dumbed down it is bairly functional. I have been programming computers for 20 years and this tool is the most retarded and idiotic thing I have ever seen. All I want to do is schedule 5 database files and 2 folders for daily backup but of course Vista assumes I am far to stupid to pick my files so it doesnt even allow me the option... So now I want to make an image of my drive and the option is now gone?!?! Its like once you tell this stupid tool to do something, thats all it will do from then on... How can I just reset it to as if I never used it? Reinstall Vista??? LOL, wouldnt surprise me...
July 19, 2007 11:02:45 PM

toothpick said:
The first time I ran the backup and restore center last night it looked very nice. The "Complete PC Backup" option really caught my eye and I was very excited about that feature. But I made the horrible mistake of trying to configure a reccuring backup of select files first. The tool will not let me pick specific files so I cancelled the backup while it was in process. Now I want to use the Complete PC Backup feature BUT IT IS NOW GONE! All I have in the menu now is "Backup Files" and "Restore Files". I have been working on this for 2 days now and I cannot get the option back. PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED THIS FEATURE!

I am pulling my hair out trying to use Vista's new backup utility. It is so dumbed down it is bairly functional. I have been programming computers for 20 years and this tool is the most retarded and idiotic thing I have ever seen. All I want to do is schedule 5 database files and 2 folders for daily backup but of course Vista assumes I am far to stupid to pick my files so it doesnt even allow me the option... So now I want to make an image of my drive and the option is now gone?!?! Its like once you tell this stupid tool to do something, thats all it will do from then on... How can I just reset it to as if I never used it? Reinstall Vista??? LOL, wouldnt surprise me...

3. Backing Up the Whole Computer

Click on "Back Up Computer" to start a full-system backup. This backs up both your user data and the operating system, and lets you rebuild everything from one of these backups in case things get mortally trashed. As before, you'll need to pick a location -- however, you cannot make a full system backup to a network path; it has to be a locally-connected drive or a removable drive (like a CD/DVD drive).

http://www.thegline.com/windows/2006/10/the-xp-users-gu... dows-1.html

m
l
July 19, 2007 11:06:24 PM

toothpick said:

http://www.thegline.com/windows/2006/10/the-xp-users-guide-to-windows-1.html
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2007 11:21:28 PM

Thats my problem... I don't have the "Backup Computer" or the "Complete PC Backup" option anymore. But I did have them last night when I ran the tool for the first time. I think when I changed the location to a network store the options dissapeared. But I have since changed the location back to my 500GB external USB drive and the option will not reappear.

You see that third option on the left "Complete PC Backup"? I no longer have that... How do I get it back?

m
l
July 19, 2007 11:26:11 PM

Try connecting an external HD (usb) or a flash drive (removable). Also try putting a blank DVD into the RW drive. The option may not be available unless the Vista OS picks up a large enough space available for a full system back up. Not sure about that.
m
l
July 19, 2007 11:29:50 PM

Sounds logical. But I have tried to use my 500GB USB external HD. It has 185GB free space. My laptop I am backing up only has a 160GB drive. I will try a DVD but I doubt I will see a change.
m
l
July 19, 2007 11:36:59 PM

I tried a DVD and a different external HD and none had any affect. Any other ideas?
m
l
July 19, 2007 11:39:09 PM

I just opened the backup feature on my Vista 32 HP. I was asked to do a setup for the entire program. I stopped there because I have Acronis backup installed. Maybe try and do an initial setup of the Vista backup program if you can find a way.
m
l
July 20, 2007 12:01:07 AM

There is probably a command to manually load that initial configuration wizard.. Anyone know?
m
l
!