Best linux distro for PS3??

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi

I am planing to install linux on my PS3 i just need advice on which distro to go with,i just need a simple OS to do usual work like watching video or similar stuff
i heard the the best one is yellow dog for PS3
also any advice before installing OS?
thanks

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
i think fedora is the one i shouldnt go with :pfff:
yellow dog was made for PS3, i think that is the one to chose but, i am not sure if it is easy to use, i always use ubuntu so it is simple, any info on how user friendly yellow dog is?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

I don't know really anything about yellow dog. It isn't really about compatibility, I'm sure any OS you chose would work just fine. It's just whatever you want. If you like Ubuntu, use that. If you want to try something else, go for it. You're not confined to a single OS. If you don't like it, get a different one, it's that simple.

-Pyro

You can get Ubuntu on PS3 but it is still a work in progress:
PS Ubuntu

As I understood it Yellow Dog have a fully working distro for PS3. They used to rule the roost for Linux on Mac and had a good reputation. Since the switch to x86 for the Mac you see a lot less of them.

Well.. Fairly low cost for a media center PC with BlueRay drive support. Also an interesting architecture processor wise and it allows you to run your own software, possibly home brew games although I've not seen much on that and hell.. because its cool and Geeky.

G

Yellow Dog Linux is a derivative of RHEL as is Fedora, YDL installs and workd ok except I found it really slow.. I find xubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn) runs fastest and you can get everything installed, be aware that this is now a unsupported release, I have tried installing newer versions of xubuntu and ubuntu without any luck, the discs would'nt boot even after alot of tweaking, closest I got was using xubuntu 9.10 karmic koala but once the install started it wouldn't recognise my ps3's cd drive even after mnt'ing and trying to load the drivers manually.

My final look is that with xubuntu 7.10 it is light weight enough for me to do my regular stuff like video/photo editing, web development etc.... the only annoying thing I havn't accomplished as yet is getting wine on there! If I had that it would be perfect!! I hope this helps...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

There's no need to be rude. It's a general unwritten rule on forums across the internet not to bring back outdated threads.

slapshot

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Just because its a older post thats not to say its outdated, people are still looking for answers about installing a second OS on ps3's and he did add valid information to topic. Sorry you feel I was rude.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

It's hard to tell what kind of mood somebody is over the internet, sorry for misinterpreting what you said :)

efaustus9

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I second yellowdog linux. you can see what you can do with it in this this thread which has numerous videos and screen shots. Also at the bottom you will find a guide to help you set up the same on your ps3.

under_our_noses

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Seriously? Do you have any reference articles regarding this or is this from personal experience? I was about to buy one today in fact (PS3 slim) but will now wait .. its important for me to be able to boot this into linux as well if I choose. Are there any other oprion (such as 'Other OS') that are removed in the PS3 Slim release that you know of?

This was VERY widely reported at the time. Try google with 'ps3 slim linux support'

From: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/28/sony_ps3_slim_linux_install_loss/

The reasons are simple: The PS3 Slim is a major cost reduction involving many changes to hardware components in the PS3 design. In order to offer the OtherOS install, SCE would need to continue to maintain the OtherOS hypervisor drivers for any significant hardware changes - this costs SCE. One of our key objectives with the new model is to pass on cost savings to the consumer with a lower retail price. Unfortunately in this case the cost of OtherOS install did not fit with the wider objective to offer a lower cost PS3.

You are also poop out of luck on the PS2 support although the BlueRay drive works faster.

ronochu

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I am running Ubuntu in my PS3. The performance is great! I had follow this guide to install it : http://bit.ly/6IS2AY. Even I can use emulator to run Windows within it! If PS3 slim can't use Linux then I will stick with my Thick PS3.

Really? Everything I read said that it was a bit of a sick dog, limited memory and no HW acceleration on the graphics being the biggest two complaints.

That's NOT a guide, that's a link to a $40 commercial product that should not be required to install Linux on the older 'fat' PS3. The thought of running XP in a virtualised (I'm guessing BOCHS?) machine with less than 480Mb available to me really does not appeal.

Anyway, seeing as people seem to be lacking in google foo so far this year, here is the link to the guide on how to install Ubuntu, for free, with no third party tools required:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3

Ohhh.. down to $37, still not quite FOS but at least I've got change for a packet of smokes over the effort from ronochu....

dubyajaysmith

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I have installed yellow dog Linux(ydl) v5 to v6.2 (latest) and updated along the way. @ 1st you had to fight tooth and nail to get wireless and etc - its built in with 6.2 (lucky if your'e just jumping into the game). I never had a problem with it aside from the problems i make by tweaking the cr@p out of it:) YDL FTW for sure.Once you get your depositories up its very simple to install VLC media player, emulators (snes), GIMP (imaging) and a WHOLE WHOLE lot more. You can even rip blu ray games you just can do any thing with the data so why bother. Sony limited the RAM (memory) you can use there for no high end gaming (halo x) or anything of that nature, but emulators are abundant. Just back up your data and go to http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/downloads/ to downoad 6.2, then http://www.yellowdog-board.com/ has info ton of tutorials, like setting up depositories to easily install emulators and everything under the sun. :bounce: btw Billb is a god

Tavo157

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

is yellow dog able to run youtube, hulu, gametrailers, and any other kind of website that requires flash yet? or does it not work still? Also Skype, utorrent, and other programs? Please let me know i would be very thankful!

Tavo157

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Does anyone know what is the best linux for regular computing such as watching youtube, hulu, downloading music, torrents and practically everything you do with a regular computer? My laptop broke so im trying to use my ps3 as my momentary computer and wish to install the best linux that might do all that for me and that would actually work on the ps3. Thanks in advance!