Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista freezes except in safe mode, Fedora Core 7 runs fine?

Tags:
  • Safe Mode
  • Windows Vista
  • Memory
Last response: in Windows Vista
July 21, 2007 1:00:17 AM

First of all the only reason I'm running Vista is so that I can run language programs that are only compatible with Windows. That being said, every time I log in to Vista on normal settings the whole screen locks up to where the mouse won't even move. However, if I run Vista in safe mode it boots fine. Additionally, Fedora Core 7 runs perfectly.

So at first I thought it was a memory issue because I had issues during the initial install of Vista, but after replacing the memory I have found it hasn't made a difference (previous ram was Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400). I just don't understand why it would work in safe mode but not under regular settings (I have set the memory timings manually as well as the memory voltages). I have posted my "normal settings" below so if you have any advice please post it. Thanks

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio [ 9x ]
CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency(Mhz) [266]
PCI Express Frequency(Mhz) [Auto]
C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [4.00]
Memory Frequency(Mhz) [1067]
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option 1]

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Manual]
CAS Latency Time 5 [5]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 5 [5]
DRAM RAS# Precharge 5 [5]
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 18 [15]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) 3 [Auto]
Bank Write to READ Delay 3 [Auto]
Write to Precharch Delay 6 [Auto]
Refresh to ACT Delay 42 [0]
Read to Precharge Delay 3 [Auto]
Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

System Voltage Control [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.4v]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
Normal CPU Vcore 1.26250V

More about : vista freezes safe mode fedora core runs fine

Best solution

July 21, 2007 1:26:37 AM

After install, did the PC run OK at any point? What was the last thing done before the freeze? Safe Mode replaces as many drivers as possible with MS generic drivers, dropping back performance factors (that's how some OC issues allow the OS to boot in Safe but not Normal Mode), etc. If Safe Mode works, that tells you that either your registry is corrupted (not as likely in Vista), a service or a hardware driver is most likely your issue. I would suspect it would possibly be a graphics driver. Have you tried uninstalling your graphics driver in Safe Mode, then boot into Normal Mode? Have you tried removing all apps in your Startup Folder before booting into Normal Mode?
July 21, 2007 1:38:25 AM

It ran fine at first, but after about a week it just started to freeze every time after I logged in. I never even connected it to the internet and the only thing I installed was MS Office 2007 and a few tweaker programs like CPUZ. I'll try getting rid of everything but the OS and see if that works.
m
l
July 21, 2007 7:34:23 AM

I deleted everything but Vista and MS Office and now it runs fine again. Thanks for the help
m
l
!