I may have got a virus, but I am not sure...

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
When I press Crtl+Alt+Del to bring up my Task Manager, all I get is a little box that has only the CPU Usage Meters in it. There are no tabs, top menu bar or the (x) to close it. The only thing I can do to it is drag it around and pull the corner to expand it (when I do that all it does is make the meter bigger). The only way I can make it go away is to press Alt+F4. Prior to this, I clicked on a link in the internet that immediately after clicking on it, my Internet window just closed... no message or nothing. The link I clicked on was on Via Arenas website, to scan my computer for needed driver updates. But what I didn't realize is it is a "sponsered link" not a scanner from Via Arena. When I go back to the page, the link to scan has the name 'driveragent" in it. I ran AVG full scan (nothing found), Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad Aware SE (both of those found stuff, and cleaned it). But when I restart my PC, it still doesn't let me open the full task manager.

What happened? My main concern this is a virus of some sort. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of activity from their Task Manager?

Thanks for any input.

G

You somehow changed Task Manager to minimized mode. Just double click on the border. Why does everyone always think they have a virus when something different happens?

Grumpy

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks. I will try that when I get home. I only thought that since the link I pressed caused my internet browser to close suddenly. Right after that, I tried bringing the Task Manager up, so see if IE was still in memory. But, I guess it has been a few weeks since I had to last bring it up, so really anything could have changed it.