dlesko

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
My computer has begun to experience random crashes. It is a p2.6 duo with 2g ram and running vista 32bit. Its crashed 3 times so far, each time a blue screen comes up. The first time it said:

Windows Error, shutting down computer to prevent damage
Stop 0x0000008e(0xc0000005,0x8B246EE6,0x974E2B3C,0x00000000

dxgkrnl.sys - Address 8B246EE6 base at 8B244000

Datestamp 4549ae96

2nd time it said:

IRQL_NOT_Less_OR_Equal

3rd Time it said:

caused by computer hardware, poss Ram, Board, CPU or Powersupply

I bought this computer from Cyberpower.com and recieved it last tuesday. It worked well all week but last night i was playing a game and it locked up and would not reboot unless i turned the power off. After that ive been experiencing these problems.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

caused by computer hardware, poss Ram, Board, CPU or Powersupply. I would say that pretty much sums it up. Short of returning the system, start with swapping out the RAM, then the PSU. You wll definately need some spare parts to narrow down, find and solve the problem.

The Joker

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
dxgkrnl.sys is the directx graphics kernel. While that doesn't rule out other possible hardware issues, it could be related to just your graphics card and some automatic update that you received since you started using your system. I do not know what graphics setup cyberpower uses but you may want to check with CyberPower first to see if they have heard of recent similar issues (check their forums).

Another option is to just verify that you have ALL of the lastest updates from (first) Microsoft, and then followed by all of your hardware components which most-likely are not automatic.

Who makes the major components (Mobo and video)? Visually look at all of your fans to see if they are all running and you are not overheating. Download the latest copy of 'speedfan' and see what it says the temperatures are. Infant-mortality on any of these could always be an issue (not really a CyberPower architecture issue but I am sure they would stand behind their components).

good luck!

The Joker

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
it is probably cyberpowerpc.com.

Which one of the machines do you have? The cheapo ones all seem to be running 400 power-supplies, that could be an issue. Speedfan will tell you the current voltages (won't show spikes).

Have you gone through the MS logs, looking for any kind of major error (in red). Vista has literally 100s of different log files but it is also fairly easy to look for significant issues.

Be sure to check the nvidia forums for the latest GOOD driver for your particular video card.

(again) good luck.

dlesko

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hi guys. I used one of their configurators to chose the system componants. The computer has a 700 power supply, a Gefore 800 GTX 760Mbs graphics card, 2 gigs ram, duo core 2.6 and a ECS P965T-A motherboard. Ive gone through and downloaded the latest drivers for everything i could think of, also, both fans are running along with the water cooler. Speed fan shows temps for both cores at around 34C.

Also, a few hours ago, when i just brought my computer out sleep i noticed that i had a new error. It said:

host process for windows stopped working and was closed

Lastly i just noticed that the trashcan icon on my desktop is gone.....odd.

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
When you get a random crash, check to see if Windows Defender recently updated its definition (yes definition) files. My only recent blue screens occured after those updates. Nothing else had changed, not even a power fluctuation.

If you haven't installed windows defender, for the love of your sanity please don't. You can't uninstall it and while you can disable it, the system will whine for a bit and you have to go through an annoying process everytime you reboot.