frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Ok out of the blue today i started up my PC and XP wont boot. It does the usual POST but then right before XP usually loads it says GRUB hard disk error. I tried running to recovery consol and tried the fixmbr command and chkdsk, I also ran Spinwrite to make sure there were no errors everthing came up clean but still i cant boot. Ok so here is where things got a bit weird, i was going to run the recovery console from my XP cd again but when it says hit any key to load from cd, i didnt hit a key in time, and XP booted up from the hard drive like everything was normal again. Once in Xp everything works perfectly fine. But now this is the onlyway I can get XP to boot, I have to choose the cd room from the boot menu and then let it time out when it says hit any key to boot from cd. X will not boot up unless I do this. Any ideas?? I really dont wanna have to do a fresh install I have alot of software on the PC that I dont have disks for. BTW I have two drives on this system, one is a 74gig Raptor which is the disk with XP, the other is a 300gig Maxtor drive I use to store music, videos, pics...etc. Please help im running out of ideas.
Thanks

GRUB error? Do you have Linux installed on that computer? If so, it sounds like your bootloader is corrupted and needs to be fixed. If not, do a repair on XP and it will repair the bootloader for you.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I had linux installed a while ago. /i just fixed the problem turns out it was the 300gig storage drive causing the problem. I disconnected it and everything worked fine. Then I loaded xp and plygged the drive back in, shut down XP, then reboted and everything is back to normal. That was very strange.
thanks