Best looking linux

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
I was wondering what the best looking linux I could impress my friends with?
Spec:
8800GTX
Q6600
Raptor 150gb
abit p35 pro

I guess thats all you need to know about my system. I currently am running MS Vista Home Premium 64bit. I don't want to replace windows I just want to have another fun OS.

Thanx for reading.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Depends on how you set it up. Fedora and Ubuntu are good choices, Fedora offers lots of cool looking stuff. It also depends on how good you are with computers, and what you want to do.

-Pyro

cronic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
if you want a pretty distro then try sabayon, dreamlinux or elive. im using sabayon right now, compiz fusion and proprietary drivers by defult :sol:

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yeah i must admit, I did like the look of sabayon as it had a pretty sleek interface, although I don't think i like the change of color scheme that they went for in their newest release (i am not a fan of shades of red). It is strange though because I can't get sabayon to boot up on either of the machines I built, but it works on my mom's prefab system (both my systems are a lot beefier than her prefab).

Anyways, antonwalker, if you just want to impress them with a liveCD that will work well, else don't bother picking a distro based solely on looks. One of the things that I really like about Linux is that you can modify ANYTHING you want, so you can completely customize your interface to look really cool according to your own tastes.

Also, you can download themes from places like www.gnome-look.org or www.kde-look.org , and then of course you can turn on spiffy things like compiz-fusion (and don't forget emerald decoration themes for compiz).

-Zorak

kidfiness

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I will have to say that eventhough Ubuntu and Fedora are fine distros, the best looking one by far is ELIVE. It is a very sleek and well designed distro. It is the most perfect eye-candy for any system, even Mac's. Just give it a try. I probably tried every distro listed on Distrowatch, but ELIVE blew them all away. Just see for yourself http://www.elivecd.org/Main/Screenshots/ and you can just go here to download it http://www.elivecd.org/Download/Stable :bounce:

Rudemeister

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Sabayon has alot of eye candy, but Mandriva Spring 2008 PWP has all the codecs and everything working great. I would then install Superkaramba. There are a ton of great Superkaramba widgets for the desktop. It's what I'm running. I like KDE best too. My Linux desktop looks so cool. It also is faster than Vista and boot much quicker. But I do have a dual boot.

justjohn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

+1

Mandriva spring has a very attractive default theme and the compiz effects work straight out of a fresh install. No need to mess with drivers or anything. Very nice. I like the default look of openSUSE as well.

How polished is ELIVE and how far along with regards to the number of functions done by GUI and amount of hardware supported? I might have to take a look.

super_rad

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
All desktops use either Gnome, KDE, XFCE (you can install loads of other window managers, fluxbox, openbox etc) so just have a look at which you prefer (KDE4 is probably the best looking by default) then choose a distribution (if your new to linux i'd suggest ubuntu if you want gnome or kubuntu if you want kde as theyre great for beginners) then make sure you install compiz-fusion then just find some nice icons and themes etc and you'll have a great looking desktop!

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
"This is for kidfiness "

I want that elive linux, can i get it from ya, or the codes to download it for free. or something... i dont have the $5.00 right now to pay for it...

i want it, looks sweet... (email: info@renegeek.com)

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Please, for the love of Nancy, don't resurect long dead threads otherwise we can expect Linux_0, audiovoodoo, and bmouring to descend upon the thread and make jokes about zombies and such like ;) Also, if you are going based solely on looks for which linux to go with, that is not an advisable way to go about picking a distribution. A better way to do it is to download one of the gratis distributions (no cost) such as Fedora, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Linux Mint, or whatever and then install the desktop environment that you see on Elive that way you will have a distribution you like AND a desktop environment you like. In case you want to know the name of the Desktop environment that elive uses, it is called "Enlightenment" and the version they are using is called E17.

Happy Hunting!

-Zorak

renegeek

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
"Zorak"

thanks, ill look up thoes desktop environment / eye candy ...

also, i was impressed about the speed, and etc...

The linux i'm learning right now is Unbuto, and Pclinux08, and backtrack3... and tonight i'm going to check out freespire...

just checking out my options...

thanks again

dawlypaul

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Linux Mint - based on Ubuntu but much sleeker. Uses Gnome as standard - gnomelook.org gives you stacks of options for making it very pretty. All codecs included so you can play media files, DVD's etc straight away without doing geeky stuff or spending ages searching for codecs. Mine looks very good, and knocks XP and Vista for 6 in terms of speed.