Cant tell if it is vista fault, but i am angry with it anywayz

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Or maybe i should be angry with myself right now, the only thing i know is that im going berserk right now with this situation:

I heahed towards my girlsfriend house how in order do install some games on her brother's laptop (he asked me), that has windows vista home premium, and just at the very last game, that required Alchool 120%, i had this message warning about the program, maybe because it was an older version of Alchool and vista required a newer version, anyways i allowed windows to continue instalation, although the instalation went wrong, and it gave a BSOD, and rebooted, and then windows restarted, and then another BSOD and it rebooted again, and this could continue in a endless cicle. Safe mode didnt help either.
Please, can some one tell me how could i fix it without formating? My problem is that im new with vista, i dont know about its leet hidden tools (or understand them/or know about its efficiency), and i dont have a copy if vista.
I nearly beg you, give me a help :\

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
PS: It gives me the horrific BSOD a few second after windows logon, so i can see the icons and everything, but then, it just reboots after it poops me with a BSOD.
Im assuming it has something in its registry alchool related, that is afecting it. Any ideia how to remove it ? Again, safe mode doesnt help much, because same thing happens.

MattyMustng

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Ok first, try a restore point. If that doesn't work, then you really have no other options but to restore. All is not lost though. In Vista, with a restore, it will create a Windows.old file providing that you do not format the hdd and erase everything. From this windows.old file you can recover any files from the previous installation, just no programs. Now, if you don't have a copy of Vista, I suggest checking torrents. These are just iso's of Vista from which you can install a trial (Vista has a 30-day free trial) or put in the key if he has that. Also, if his laptop came with Vista, he should have a manufacturer restore disk. If so, you don't even need to bother with all the torrents. And, if he doesn't have a disk, most computers have a restore partition on the hard drive, all you have to do is hit the key combination (whatever it is) at startup and restore. Make sure not to format the hdd though so that you can recover those files.

Delph1nus

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Sorry to tell you rickzor...but I think you're buggered on this one. I ran into this same problem with a new Dell XPS m1210 laptop with Vista Business in February. I ignored the Vista dialog telling me that Alcohol 120% was gonna cause problems...and sure enough...continuous BSOD. I tinkered for about 4 hrs with it and finally gave up and formatted. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news...but apparently Vista is serious about A120 not being compatible.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Well, thank you all for the hints, i was able to get a vista copy, but im not sure if the language differs from the one in the laptop, will it matter if i use it for repair, or some sort of reinstall?
By the way, what is the windows restore key combination at the startup that i need to press?

PS: Oh, and about checking vendors website to ensure software compatibility isnt a bad ideia, but the thing is, alchool 120% is a very well know program. Ok i should have thinked twice before proceed with the install but..oh my god, i couldnt tell it would chew vista this much, i mean this is a really really messy problem, with a so common software..vista must be improved somehow in this for christ sake.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
this is problem with vista; its not backward with a lot of software and is reason i dont recommend it even for home use (becomes bigger problem with business as many popular business applications are not backward compatible--- ie: quickbooks)

yellowho

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
i had face this same problem before with my desktop, and i try many time, finally i fix it .
the problem is because you install the old version Alcohol 120,
after you reboot, vista wil auto to create a virtual drive, then will come out blue screen.

My solution is :
when the pc go into window, DON'T WAIT
immedietely go to control panel --> programs and features
then select the Alcohol 120 and uninstall it

if you can uninstall it before the vista auto create the virtual drive ,
then you'll safe everything.

This is my experience, hope can help you !

Right there is where you should have stopped. When a program like Alcohol 120% tells you that it may be incompatible, you'll want to listen because it installs system-level drivers. If those drivers aren't compatible, you'll get BSODs all over the place just as you experienced. Any burning program or CD/DVD emulators will crash if they aren't compatible.

Glad you got it working and now you know in the future to check for new software versions / patches before installing an older program on a newer Windows.

G

I made the same mistake, installed Alcohol 120 despite of the attention about the bad driver. BSOD-boot-BSOD-boot-BSOD-switch off by button.

During the next boot BSOD again, but in the middle of the booting, not at the end. Boot again and the Recovery automatically restored the windows to the latest checkpoint without alcohol.

Vista is intelligent (instead of me), grat for developers