Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Good free partition software?

Last response: in Applications
July 30, 2007 2:35:33 PM

Anyone recommend some free software that a newbie can use to make partitions? I've tried SwissKnife but it won't let me use any of the basic commands (the create button won't let me press it, and the slider for choosing space allocation won't let me change it). And all other software I've tried is Demo version only, meaning it doesn't do ****.
So, can anyone recommend a programme? Time limited shareware would be fine if it let me make a partition or two before the duration ran out.
Thanks
August 19, 2007 1:02:53 AM

You can use an Ubuntu live cd to boot and then once inside Linux you can use a program called gparted to make partitions even on a hard drive that has windows installed, but make sure to defragment it first.
August 20, 2007 2:31:48 AM

What's wrong with the partition manager that comes with the windows CD?
Related resources
August 29, 2007 11:32:13 AM

I too use the partition manager of the windows. It's the best one.
August 30, 2007 3:35:38 AM

can it partition a hard drive with windows installed, without touching the installation?
August 30, 2007 6:54:15 AM

dunklegend said:
can it partition a hard drive with windows installed, without touching the installation?

No. It's just a basic partition manager. Very Basic.

But it does the job.
October 21, 2007 10:47:20 AM

Use the one comes with Windows. It is simple but capable to solve most of our problems.
Newbie should not try difficult stuff.
October 21, 2007 9:17:46 PM

While not free, Partition Magic is probably the best partitioning software out there and will work after Windows is installed. Have used it for years and the only time I had a problem was one when the power went out while I was using it, one reason why I know use a UPS, and every other time I did something stupid
July 15, 2010 4:14:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!