Anyone tried Belenix?

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
Just down-loaded the latest Belenix live DVD,
tried it on 4 different builds of PC/Lappy; none of e'm booted;
one just hung, one errored out (no SSE2 support), one just rebooted all the time, and the other just got stuck in an infinite loop daemonising xserver.

I did all the obvious: checked MD5 sums, re-burning DVD etc.

Just wondering if it's worth persuing or just chalk it down to a couple of wasted DVDs.

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
I currently have SuSe on one of the Lappies (a Compaq Presario) and Debian (4.0) on the other boxes; I have used various other distros of Linux (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Mandriva & (shudders) Linspire) all with no problems.

linux_0

Splendid
Wait Belenix is not Linux it's Solaris...

I haven't used SunOS and Solaris in like 50 years...

You may have better luck with the live CD, although I am guessing to be honest.

Does the kernel actually boot all the way? Does it hand over to init?

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
Yep, it's OpenSolaris based, that's why I wanted give it a try.
The kernel boots OK (on all but the Compaq (??)), it's the xserver graphics layer that falls over; an old Celeron lappy errors out because someone has build one (and only one) of the libraries with SSE2 support ?, as to the others I'm guessing that either a very restricted set of drivers has been included or the device identification has been cut-down.
Everything that supports the kernel is GNU/Linux, so there shouldn't be any problems, it's just starting to look like someone hasn't really thought about real-world installation.

There is a Belenix support forum, but it requires registration and I'm somewhat reluctant to give them an email address if the thing isn't going to work.

TRENDING THREADS