3-pin fan connector on m/b

Asjasck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Did i just fry my motherboard? Okay i was trying to remove a fan from the 3-pin fan connector. I couldn't reach with my finger so i used a screwdriver. After i removed the connector, i accidently touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 pins and i saw a spark. The computer turned off. I powered it back nothing wrong. But i just want to know will i fry my motherboard if i connect the 2 of the pins. I wasn't sure which pin bcuz i was shock. It's either the black with the red or yellow with the red.

Anyway can i use a 3-pin fan plug on a 4-pin fan connector?

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Did i just fry my motherboard? Okay i was trying to remove a fan from the 3-pin fan connector. I couldn't reach with my finger so i used a screwdriver. After i removed the connector, i accidently touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 pins and i saw a spark. The computer turned off. I powered it back nothing wrong. But i just want to know will i fry my motherboard if i connect the 2 of the pins. I wasn't sure which pin bcuz i was shock. It's either the black with the red or yellow with the red.

:oops: maybe next time you'll consider shutting the computer down first, and avoid using metal obects as pokers, duh!

Anyhow, sounds like the power protection circuit in your PSU saved your a$$. And yes, it is safe to plug a three pin fan connector into a 4 pin header.

Asjasck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Okay i think i connected the red and the black cable. Assuming i dont have the power protection circuit, what would have happened?

What if i connect the red and yellow 1?

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Only red -> black (12V -> ground) would have caused the spark you observered. Well, if a fan still works when you plug it in...then your PSU saved you. If a fan no longer works in that header, then you probably blew out a resistor/diode on the motherboard. It's like blowing a fuse, but it's not easily replacable. Did you smell anything funny after the spark?

In any case, if that header will no longer power a fan, all is not lost. You'll just have to power your fan from an alternate source.

Asjasck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
The +12 and +5 pin won't cause a spark?

Anyway i smelled nothing weird so i think my PSU saved me. My whole computer shut down is because of the power protection? The fan header is still working fine luckily.

But the spark won't affect any other hardware like graphic card or processor? The worse is that the fan header won't work?

rcs2749

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006

Why in the world would you be trying to plug/unplug a fan while the computer is running. Somethings make you go Duhhh!!!

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Jeezzz, had your computer on while doing it??? That's not a very good practice, to say the least!!! :roll:
Well I guesss it COULD have been shut off and still had some residual power left - this however can easily be avoided by pressing the power button after the power cord has been unplugged.

Asjasck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma

What???? 8O

Anytime your hands are in the case and dealing with ANY electrical component shut the power off.
I grounded myself already. The thing is i bridged 2 pins with my electric-conductor screwdriver. Silly me :lol: I was an accident.

Anyway i think it's working fine since everything starts okay.

Let's say if the mobo was somehow damaged and i plug in a graphic card to the PCIe slot or use a processor on that mobo, will the card or processor be damaged?

Thanks.

Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma

What???? 8O

Anytime your hands are in the case and dealing with ANY electrical component shut the power off.
I grounded myself already. The thing is i bridged 2 pins with my electric-conductor screwdriver. Silly me :lol: I was an accident.

Anyway i think it's working fine since everything starts okay.

Let's say if the mobo was somehow damaged and i plug in a graphic card to the PCIe slot or use a processor on that mobo, will the card or processor be damaged?

Thanks.

No. 99% of the time you would not cause damage to anything else you plugged in after the fact. You can always buy a PCI tester card and plug it in to find out what you burned out.

Now why again where you poking around with a metal stick while the machine was on?

To RCS2749:

Heh, on my own machine, not only am I not grounded, I dont shut of my machine if I need to open it and see if a card is loose.... and the machine is on carpet..

/shame on me. OH well... this is comming from a guy who washes his computers to clean them out.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
You better chalk it up to experience. You wouldn't be happy having to fork money to buy another mobo. And less happy of all, knowing that you killed the one that was working Ok.

Asjasck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
What PCI tester card? I can just go to any computer store and ask for it? Does it have a certain brand? Or is it a common item?

AlmightyPencils

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
I've had a similar situation, but I only saw a small spark and no funny smell or anything (after shortening the GND and CHA FAN PWR pins like a complete retard) the 4 pin fan header sill works fine tho but I can't control the speed anymore within AI Suite 3 (like if I have no fan plugged) always running at max RPM, if anyone has a solution for this I would highly appreciate it.