Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3-pin fan connector on m/b

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 9, 2007 7:44:40 AM

Did i just fry my motherboard? Okay i was trying to remove a fan from the 3-pin fan connector. I couldn't reach with my finger so i used a screwdriver. After i removed the connector, i accidently touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 pins and i saw a spark. The computer turned off. I powered it back nothing wrong. But i just want to know will i fry my motherboard if i connect the 2 of the pins. I wasn't sure which pin bcuz i was shock. It's either the black with the red or yellow with the red.

Anyway can i use a 3-pin fan plug on a 4-pin fan connector?

More about : pin fan connector

May 9, 2007 7:54:16 AM

Quote:
Did i just fry my motherboard? Okay i was trying to remove a fan from the 3-pin fan connector. I couldn't reach with my finger so i used a screwdriver. After i removed the connector, i accidently touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 pins and i saw a spark. The computer turned off. I powered it back nothing wrong. But i just want to know will i fry my motherboard if i connect the 2 of the pins. I wasn't sure which pin bcuz i was shock. It's either the black with the red or yellow with the red.

Anyway can i use a 3-pin fan plug on a 4-pin fan connector?

:oops:  maybe next time you'll consider shutting the computer down first, and avoid using metal obects as pokers, duh!

Anyhow, sounds like the power protection circuit in your PSU saved your a$$. And yes, it is safe to plug a three pin fan connector into a 4 pin header.
May 9, 2007 8:03:02 AM

Okay i think i connected the red and the black cable. Assuming i dont have the power protection circuit, what would have happened?

What if i connect the red and yellow 1?
Related resources
May 9, 2007 8:12:43 AM

Only red -> black (12V -> ground) would have caused the spark you observered. Well, if a fan still works when you plug it in...then your PSU saved you. If a fan no longer works in that header, then you probably blew out a resistor/diode on the motherboard. It's like blowing a fuse, but it's not easily replacable. Did you smell anything funny after the spark?

In any case, if that header will no longer power a fan, all is not lost. You'll just have to power your fan from an alternate source.
May 9, 2007 8:20:13 AM

The +12 and +5 pin won't cause a spark?

Anyway i smelled nothing weird so i think my PSU saved me. My whole computer shut down is because of the power protection? The fan header is still working fine luckily.

But the spark won't affect any other hardware like graphic card or processor? The worse is that the fan header won't work?

Thanks :lol: 
May 9, 2007 9:13:43 AM

It killed the whole system or only the motherboard?
May 9, 2007 9:53:38 AM

Means if the part can still start means it's not damaged at all?
May 9, 2007 11:03:23 AM

Ya i think thats my case but i'm wondering if shocked my motherboard will other parts be affected?
May 9, 2007 1:33:48 PM

Quote:
Did i just fry my motherboard? Okay i was trying to remove a fan from the 3-pin fan connector. I couldn't reach with my finger so i used a screwdriver. After i removed the connector, i accidently touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 pins and i saw a spark. The computer turned off. I powered it back nothing wrong. But i just want to know will i fry my motherboard if i connect the 2 of the pins. I wasn't sure which pin bcuz i was shock. It's either the black with the red or yellow with the red.

Anyway can i use a 3-pin fan plug on a 4-pin fan connector?


Why in the world would you be trying to plug/unplug a fan while the computer is running. Somethings make you go Duhhh!!!
May 9, 2007 2:16:30 PM

Quote:
The +12 and +5 pin won't cause a spark?


Yes they would AFAIK...
May 9, 2007 2:39:20 PM

Jeezzz, had your computer on while doing it??? That's not a very good practice, to say the least!!! :roll:
Well I guesss it COULD have been shut off and still had some residual power left - this however can easily be avoided by pressing the power button after the power cord has been unplugged.
May 9, 2007 2:42:59 PM

Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma
May 9, 2007 3:02:13 PM

Quote:
Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma


What???? 8O

Anytime your hands are in the case and dealing with ANY electrical component shut the power off.
May 9, 2007 8:24:19 PM

Quote:
Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma


What???? 8O

Anytime your hands are in the case and dealing with ANY electrical component shut the power off.
I grounded myself already. The thing is i bridged 2 pins with my electric-conductor screwdriver. Silly me :lol:  I was an accident.

Anyway i think it's working fine since everything starts okay.

Let's say if the mobo was somehow damaged and i plug in a graphic card to the PCIe slot or use a processor on that mobo, will the card or processor be damaged?

Thanks.
May 9, 2007 9:18:33 PM

Quote:
Was changing case fans so i tot don't need off ma


What???? 8O

Anytime your hands are in the case and dealing with ANY electrical component shut the power off.
I grounded myself already. The thing is i bridged 2 pins with my electric-conductor screwdriver. Silly me :lol:  I was an accident.

Anyway i think it's working fine since everything starts okay.

Let's say if the mobo was somehow damaged and i plug in a graphic card to the PCIe slot or use a processor on that mobo, will the card or processor be damaged?

Thanks.

No. 99% of the time you would not cause damage to anything else you plugged in after the fact. You can always buy a PCI tester card and plug it in to find out what you burned out.

Now why again where you poking around with a metal stick while the machine was on?


To RCS2749:

Heh, on my own machine, not only am I not grounded, I dont shut of my machine if I need to open it and see if a card is loose.... and the machine is on carpet..

/shame on me. OH well... this is comming from a guy who washes his computers to clean them out.
May 9, 2007 9:30:52 PM

Quote:
OH well... this is comming from a guy who washes his computers to clean them out.


Hehe. You could try the dishwasher to speed up the process :) 
May 9, 2007 10:25:11 PM

I use the dishwasher for keyboards.
And the tub for the mobo.

/but rarely do I wash anything but the keyboard.
May 9, 2007 11:11:39 PM

*strokes chin and looks for irony*
May 10, 2007 3:37:13 PM

You better chalk it up to experience. You wouldn't be happy having to fork money to buy another mobo. And less happy of all, knowing that you killed the one that was working Ok.
May 11, 2007 4:04:53 PM

What PCI tester card? I can just go to any computer store and ask for it? Does it have a certain brand? Or is it a common item?
May 11, 2007 8:46:37 PM

COMPUsa sells them.

no brand in particular. They are one of the required tools for any computer fixer.
June 23, 2014 9:00:19 AM

I've had a similar situation, but I only saw a small spark and no funny smell or anything (after shortening the GND and CHA FAN PWR pins like a complete retard) the 4 pin fan header sill works fine tho but I can't control the speed anymore within AI Suite 3 (like if I have no fan plugged) always running at max RPM, if anyone has a solution for this I would highly appreciate it.
!