advice on first HDTV & audio delay issues

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 17, 2004 2:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hello...the wife and I are contemplating purchasing our first HDTV. I've
been researching the issue and think I've narrowed down (sort of) our
choices. I'm interested in the following sets:

Hitachi 50VS810 (I like the short height of the TV...would fit in well with
our existing furniture, but my wife doesn't like the black finish Price is
also a little steep.)

Hitachi 50V715 (Our leading contender...I like the feature set and it is the
successor to the highly rated 50V500.)

Samsung HL-P5063W or HL-P4663W (A very strong second choice. The cabinet is
a nice fit for our living room and I like the smooth image...no visible
pixels or grid lines but I am still unsure about the infamous audio sync
problems. We will be feeding the audio directly into our surround receiver
and feeding only the video into the set. Likewise, our DVD player is a first
generation unit and so only offers S-Video 480i input into the TV. I feel
this combo is just asking for audio sync problems. I know I could replace
the DVD player, but it was a gift from my wife on our first Christmas
together so I hate to retire it! If not for the audio issues I've read
about this would be my first choice.)

Hitachi 51S715 (A CRT projection unit that has also gotten good reviews and
is no deeper than our existing 32" television and not too heavy either. I
like the bargain price for this unit. My reservation is that it does not
seem as bright as the DLP & LCD units and our living room gets a lot of sun
in the day time (although we can lower the shades if need be).

JVC HD52Z585 (LCOS projection. On paper the technology sounds very
promising, but I am suspicious as it seems the other companies that have
tried LCOS later left the market. It is also a bit pricey and lacks the
ability to configure each individual input with its own settings. This makes
it a long shot among my list, but I do like the low profile cabinet it
offers...on a par with that offered by Samsung. The smaller cabinets are a
perfect fit with our living room.)

So...does anyone own or have experience with the above units? What are your
impressions? Has Samsung ever fixed the audio issues when using a surround
receiver? Do any other TV's in my list exhibit this problem? (Although the
Hitachi's do have optical inputs and outputs, so I guess this should
alleviate the issue and keep things in sync). I've also read some reports
doubting the long term life of LCD, but suspect this study since it was
financed by Texas Instruments (who developed DLP.) How about smearing....do
the above units exhibit this trait? I've looked in he stores and it is hard
to tell with the crummy, pixilated feeds they send to the TV's. I asked the
clerk if they could play a DVD for me and he said "no" (local Best Buy). I
like the promise offered by DLP (bright image, absence of smearing,
potential for truer colors) but am suspicious of the color wheel. All
mechanical systems wear out in time. Are the color wheels bearings sealed
against dust and loss of lubrication?

Please excuse the gaggle of questions, but at this stage I'm still
evaluating the merits of each technology and so have chosen my favorites
(based on reviews and paper specs) for each technology. I know seek real
life evaluations from people before we take the plunge. Thank you!

Craig
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Get a new DVD player...but give it to your wife that way things will work
out alright ....technology of todays DVD players are way far and above when
they first came out......MP3, CD-R, Photo and a bunch more
compatibilities.....get a new DVD player to go along with that new
tv.....Merry Christmas !!

"Craig" <caheaton@netzero.net> wrote in message
> [...]
smearing....do
> the above units exhibit this trait? I've looked in he stores and it is
hard
> to tell with the crummy, pixilated feeds they send to the TV's. I asked
the
> clerk if they could play a DVD for me and he said "no" (local Best Buy). I
> like the promise offered by DLP (bright image, absence of smearing,
> potential for truer colors) but am suspicious of the color wheel. All
> mechanical systems wear out in time. Are the color wheels bearings sealed
> against dust and loss of lubrication?
>
> Please excuse the gaggle of questions, but at this stage I'm still
> evaluating the merits of each technology and so have chosen my favorites
> (based on reviews and paper specs) for each technology. I know seek real
> life evaluations from people before we take the plunge. Thank you!

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I also have the HLP5063w and a 2 year old dvd player connected via
component.The audio sync is a real issue,but I just bought a Yamahah
receiver with audio delay (HTR-5740 $283.00) and this solved the
problem.However when I watch High def thru my DVI connection,I have no
audios sync issues,so I have to then re-adjust the audio delay back to
zero.Maybe a higher end receiver would have input specific settings for the
audio delay. Great tv set Alan
"Mindy" <savagebrave@att.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> smearing....do
>> the above units exhibit this trait? I've looked in he stores and it is
> hard
>> to tell with the crummy, pixilated feeds they send to the TV's. I asked
> the
>> clerk if they could play a DVD for me and he said "no" (local Best Buy).
>> like the promise offered by DLP (bright image, absence of smearing,
>> potential for truer colors) but am suspicious of the color wheel. All
>> mechanical systems wear out in time. Are the color wheels bearings sealed
>> against dust and loss of lubrication?
>>
>> Please excuse the gaggle of questions, but at this stage I'm still
>> evaluating the merits of each technology and so have chosen my favorites
>> (based on reviews and paper specs) for each technology. I know seek real
>> life evaluations from people before we take the plunge. Thank you!

Related resources
December 17, 2004 3:23:04 PM

Craig wrote:
> [...]
> the above units exhibit this trait? I've looked in he stores and it is hard
> to tell with the crummy, pixilated feeds they send to the TV's. I asked the
> clerk if they could play a DVD for me and he said "no" (local Best Buy). I
> like the promise offered by DLP (bright image, absence of smearing,
> potential for truer colors) but am suspicious of the color wheel. All
> mechanical systems wear out in time. Are the color wheels bearings sealed
> against dust and loss of lubrication?
>
> Please excuse the gaggle of questions, but at this stage I'm still
> evaluating the merits of each technology and so have chosen my favorites
> (based on reviews and paper specs) for each technology. I know seek real
> life evaluations from people before we take the plunge. Thank you!
>
> Craig
>
> Have you checked out the Mitsubishi's. I have one and I am very pleased
with it. I have not read of any of the potential problems you mentioned
with the Mits. The new higher resolution DVD players require a DVI or
HDMI port. Cable boxes or tuner boxes for HD usually require a DVI
connection. Problem is usually there is only 1 DVI-HDMI connection on
the TV. Switch boxes are very expensive. You can eliminate part of the
problem and save a connection by getting a TV with the cable card
option. Most cable companies support cable cards. It eliminates the need
for a add on box and DVI connection. You can use the DVI connection for
another HD device.
December 21, 2004 1:25:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Somewhere around Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:37:21 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from "Craig"
<caheaton@netzero.net>:

>Samsung HL-P5063W or HL-P4663W (A very strong second choice. The cabinet is
>a nice fit for our living room and I like the smooth image...no visible
>pixels or grid lines but I am still unsure about the infamous audio sync
>problems. We will be feeding the audio directly into our surround receiver
>and feeding only the video into the set. Likewise, our DVD player is a first
>generation unit and so only offers S-Video 480i input into the TV. I feel
>this combo is just asking for audio sync problems. I know I could replace
>the DVD player, but it was a gift from my wife on our first Christmas
>together so I hate to retire it! If not for the audio issues I've read
>about this would be my first choice.)

.. . .

>So...does anyone own or have experience with the above units? What are your
>impressions? Has Samsung ever fixed the audio issues when using a surround
>receiver? Do any other TV's in my list exhibit this problem? (Although the
>Hitachi's do have optical inputs and outputs, so I guess this should
>alleviate the issue and keep things in sync). I've also read some reports
>doubting the long term life of LCD, but suspect this study since it was
>financed by Texas Instruments (who developed DLP.) How about smearing....do
>the above units exhibit this trait? I've looked in he stores and it is hard
>to tell with the crummy, pixilated feeds they send to the TV's. I asked the
>clerk if they could play a DVD for me and he said "no" (local Best Buy). I
>like the promise offered by DLP (bright image, absence of smearing,
>potential for truer colors) but am suspicious of the color wheel. All
>mechanical systems wear out in time. Are the color wheels bearings sealed
>against dust and loss of lubrication?
>
>Please excuse the gaggle of questions, but at this stage I'm still
>evaluating the merits of each technology and so have chosen my favorites
>(based on reviews and paper specs) for each technology. I know seek real
>life evaluations from people before we take the plunge. Thank you!

I have the Samsung HLP-46w. The only sync issue that I have found is not an
issue; if you mute the audio for the TV, the sync is fine. If you simply
turn down the audio on the TV, there will be a sync problem. This was
discussed on the hdtv forum last week, and a user's problem was totally
solved when I told him about this.

I have no problems with DVDs, nor are there any problems using the TV audio
output fed into my receiver. My receiver is not at all fancy, no delays.

I really like the TV. I don't have HDTV - I don't watch much TV, and only
have analog cable, but it looks really good. I don't even know how many
splitters there might be under the house, and I never felt inclined to find
out, as much as I'd like to.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
December 21, 2004 2:14:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thank you for the info, but if I understand correctly, the output from the
TV is simply analog. If I use the TV's outputs I lose my Dolby Digital and
DTS signals. Therefore I have to send the audio from the DVD directly to
the receiver, and then mute the TV. The audio occurs due to the TV being
relatively slow in decompressing and converting the video feed. Even with
this in mind, I'm still contemplating the Samsung, as it is the best
physical fit for our living room. I guess if I had to I could purchase a
DVD player with a DVI output.
Craig

> I have the Samsung HLP-46w. The only sync issue that I have found is not
> an
> issue; if you mute the audio for the TV, the sync is fine. If you simply
> turn down the audio on the TV, there will be a sync problem. This was
> discussed on the hdtv forum last week, and a user's problem was totally
> solved when I told him about this.
>
> I have no problems with DVDs, nor are there any problems using the TV
> audio
> output fed into my receiver. My receiver is not at all fancy, no delays.
>
> I really like the TV. I don't have HDTV - I don't watch much TV, and only
> have analog cable, but it looks really good. I don't even know how many
> splitters there might be under the house, and I never felt inclined to
> find
> out, as much as I'd like to.
>

> --
> Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
> "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
> well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
December 22, 2004 3:35:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Somewhere around Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:14:35 -0500, while reading
<caheaton@netzero.net>:

>Thank you for the info, but if I understand correctly, the output from the
>TV is simply analog. If I use the TV's outputs I lose my Dolby Digital and
>DTS signals. Therefore I have to send the audio from the DVD directly to
>the receiver, and then mute the TV. The audio occurs due to the TV being
>relatively slow in decompressing and converting the video feed. Even with
>this in mind, I'm still contemplating the Samsung, as it is the best
>physical fit for our living room. I guess if I had to I could purchase a
>DVD player with a DVI output.

Yes, the TV output is analog - I use it when I am watching broadcast TV, so
there is no digital audio available. I use the optical digital output from
my DVD to my receiver for watching DVDs.

What is the purpose of DVI output in this context? Is it something to do
with delay issues or just for the better video?

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
December 22, 2004 3:35:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.home-theater,alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Allegedly (this is based upon what I've researched), the DVI output requires
less processing time to display the image, as the TV doesn't have to convert
the 480i or 480p to 720p. (The DVD player does the conversion before
sending the video to the TV.) Therefore, there aren't any sync issues with
the audio.
Craig

!