Asus a7n8x-e Deluxe - A few problems and questions

blizeH

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hi guys,

After countless problems with my computer in the past few weeks, I've finally made a bit of progress and just have a few 'niggles' to sort out before it's working correctly. I also apologise massively for creating the new thread, but it's quite a separate issue now to what I was experiencing before, so didn't want to the two things to become confused.

1) Since a format and XP re-install the front USB port don't seem to be working, this is odd as I've never had a problem in the past, and also when I did a similar re-install a few days ago they were working fine too, for some reason now the computer isn't picking them up, although the rear USB ports work just fine.

2) My ethernet card is showing up as being not installed in device manager and has a yellow exclaimation mark by it. The internet seems to work fine, I can download files at the usual speed and the network is fine too. Only problems I'm having is with uTorrent, which is definitely machine specific because I tried using the exact same setup on my parents PC and it was downloading at 100kb/s, on my computer it runs at not even 1kb/s and rarely connects to trackers razz It's a Marvell ethernet card, I've tried the drivers that came with the motherboard, I've tried the ones on the Asus site and I also tried the ones on the Marvell site too, it just won't install properly!

3) If you have some files on your C: drive, and you do a full NTFS format of that drive and re-install Windows; what are the chances that you can recover some of those files from the previous install? ;p I kinda lost my entire 'My Documents' plus a few other useful files, oops.

Thanks!

blizeH

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Quick update fwiw:

The files I lost are now pretty much entirely gone, I tried recovering them but 95%+ of them are corrupt, but I'm not going to worry about that now, they're gone, there's nothing I can do about it so it's not really an issue I guess. I've just discovered the ethernet card problems I've been having are a common fault with the board, apparently the solution is to disable the Marvell driver and forget about it, so I guess the uTorrent problems are coincidental.

Finally, the front USB ports is something I'd really like to fix since I use them often. I've checked it's connected to the motherboard correctly, I've checked it's enabled in the BIOS (there's only one global setting in there which effects the rear ports too, those work fine) and I also tried removing some of the USB drivers in Windows with rather disastrous results; I seemed to overlook the fact that both my mouse and keyboard are USB powered, lol! Tried a PS2 mouse with no luck, but thankfully my old PS2 keyboard did, so I managed to re-install the drivers with that. But, anyways, sorry for my rant; if anyone can help get the front USB ports working that'd be great, thank you!

toasty1

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Hay blizeH,

good to see im not the only one still running this board. 8O have you checked to see if you by any chance broke any of the pins on off the board or the case.? that is the only thing that i can think of. :( Ive thought of trying to use the front ports but i just cant remove the the rear ones without getting a pci card do to my needs. :( I have a question for you. Have you been able to oc with this board?

my system is all stock no oc yet:
3200 xp
A7N8X E Deluxe
OCZ 400204DCPE-K Platium Edition
Antec NEO 480
BFG 6800 agp (duh you already know that :roll: )

blizeH

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hey mate, I could be wrong but I think the 3200XP is already the maximum speed these processors can run at, which would explain why you can't overclock it, sorry :(

toasty1

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
i thought so also untill I ran into this this afternoon.

http://www.digital-daily.com/cpu/amd...00/index02.htm

I was able to get it up to 2399mhz that is almost 2000 over stock dont dare go over any further until I find a temperature program to monitor my cpu. the asus one sucks.

i had to increase the mhz to 218 or 19 and the multiplier would only go up to 12.5 unlike in the article where it was set at 15. I also had to monkey with my ram to get it to stay stable. but that was no big deal i just left it on 100%. i now have to go in and titen up my timings. that alt to be funn :D ohya im running on the mobo bios ver. 1013 that is the latest that Asus put out.

cheers mate and have a good night

toasty1

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
not to sure if the ram is functioning quite well because the mouse is studering. :cry: going to use a cpu testing program to see where the problem is hopefully it will show me. :roll: