anubis06660

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Ok here it goes.....I did a complete build a few months back. I installed Vista 32 bit OEM and everything is fine. When I found out 32 bit still had the RAM cap, I was bummed cuz I have 4gig installed. So I decide to go 64 bit. Now here is my problem. I have tried everything I can think of to install 64 bit, and to no avail, so I ask for assistance in this matter. I purchased a 64 bit OEM cd. I can not for the life of me get this to install. I get the boot from disk at startup, and it runs through loading files, then after that initial go, it just loads the 32 OS off my HDD. I have gone as far as formatting my second HDD, used for Raid 1, unplugged my HDD that has 32 bit loaded on it, but still no avail. I am at a loss, any help, suggestions, reasons to why, would be much appreciative. I thank all of you in advance who assist me on this.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Unplug all other HDDs but the one you want to install on, format that HDD and then try again. It should install just like how you would install any other OS. And by the way I know you already figured this out, but if an OS is 32-bit it WILL have the 4-Gig cap because it can't address any more memory, regardless of it being vista or XP.

anubis06660

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Well, I found the issue. After wasting 9 hours doing a DBAN on my 2 HDD's, that wasn't the issue. The issue is RAM discussed here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777 It is an error with x64 and RAM that will cause it to fail the load/boot, if you have more than they say 3gig, I say 2gig, of RAM installed. So, you have to install windows with only 2gig of RAM then go to the link listed above, and d/l the hotfix. Once you install that hotfix, you can reinstall the extra RAM you have. Thx again Emp for you thoughts.

Gleedo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Hey anubis,

I wonder if that could be helpful to my problem. Trying to install vista ultimate 64-bit from fresh with 4gb installed blue screens all over the place.....

Heres hoping :)