uninstalling windows vista to go back to XP

mike1968

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
I gave vista a shot but I dont like it. I picked up a copy of XP and I want to remove vista entirely. Ive formatted computers before but was never sure if I was doing it the right way. Do I format the HD then install the drivers then install XP?

German

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
well the problem is the Windows XP CD doesn't recognize the Hard drive and i cant format the HDD using the XP CD it cant find any HDDs. Ive tried formatting it using the Vista DVD but after i try to install Windows XP it says there is not HDD and i have to restart the computer. The thing is i can reinstall Vista but not XP Is there a professional Formatting program that will completely Wipe out all files so that XP can recognize my HDD?

The computer is an HP laptop that came with Vista, i want to XP because you know....its Vista!

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Way to thread jack Mike's thread German... Your HDD manufacturer has utilities on their site to perform a low level format.

Mike, as Zoron said, you can format during the XP install. You would format during the install and when the install is finished, you then install all of your drivers. I usually install my MB drivers first, then video card and so-on.

Also, German, you're going to have to find drivers for your HD controller that XP can load. It's most likely a SATA controller that the XP CD doesn't have drivers for... which means you'll need a floppy disk with the drivers or you'll have to find a way to slipstream them into the XP CD.

So, even if you format the hard drive, you still won't be able to install XP, because it still won't be able to see the hard drive.

Murp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
German: try this "Go to bios and Disable SATA Native and Install XP, after installing go back to bios and Unable SATA Native. "

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006

hmm your backwards there murp

it should allways be set to Native Sata or IDE Sata (some call it one or the other) if its set to RAID sata XP will not see the disks and chageing it from native or IDE Sata will make XP not boot any more

make sure you pluged the Sata hdds into the Black Sata Sockets on the motherboard as the Red Sata sockets are norm RAID ones (MSI use orange i think for norm sata)

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Mike - formatting the partition will do it while ya install windows xp....

German - your SATA controller isnt supported by the windows xp pro cd - find the drivers and shove em on a floppy(or find a way to add the drivers into yours windows installation cd), then during windows install you'll see "Press F6 for third party devices (or something to that effect)" - just press F6 - setup will prompt you for the disk containing the drivers....

hehe floppies still usefull....... (last resort)

vista works coz it has loads more recent drivers.....