Gtx4870 series

allix24

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I agree with Zoron, what are you asking for? I'm going to take a guess and say you're trying to run a 95-ME era machine with a 4870 video card? To the best of my knowledge they only made the 4870 in pciex16 so you're out of luck there as that connector didn't exist when those operating systems were popular.

But why bother? You can't possibly take full advantage of that card under Windows 9x. Games that would require that card can't even be installed on anything less than XP. Not to mention there's a host of other drivers that are needed that are simply not available for 9x. (Chipset, etc).

There are lists of new hardware compatible with Win98, including chipset (mostly intel), video cards,... In fact, Nvidia had full support up through the 8 series. Why bother? Why bother with half of the things geeks do? Why bother connecting a record player to a PC? Why bother making a 5.25 floppy work, why bother attempting to install Windows 3.11?

ITS FUN. or in his case, who knows.

The 4870 isn't even an nVidia card... it is an ATi card. You're getting confused in thinking that the 4870 is an old nVidia 4 series card when it isn't. Since nVidia when to the GTX naming convention, they have been using 3-digit numbers to describe their cards, not 4-digit.

So, either the OP made a typo in the model... or they are seriously confused. Either way, there is NO way that card is going to be even semi-functional under Win 9x. It is a complete waste of time.