Windows Media Player stopped playing DVDs

Canizorro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
I have Vista Home Premium, ATI X850xt, and a Plextor DVD burner. The video card and the drive have up to date drivers and firmware. DVD's were playing fine and then one day I got this c00d1163 error message stating that "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection". The DVDs are legal and played before without issue. I tried doing a system restore to back track a few days to when it was working and that did not help. Trying to find a solution to enable playback in the media player again. I know there are other players like VLC, but I want the media player to do what it is suppose to. I searched for a solution and the only real solution I found was to do a clean install of Vista, which I don't want to do. In another forum, I read that the decoder might have been corrupted some how and will need to be reinstalled. Any help in steps to reinstalling the decoder from the vista CD or resolving this issue some other way is appreciated.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Your codecs are probably corrupted. However, to verify, try using something like K-Lite Tools to see if your DVDs play that way. If they do, then you know it's codecs. If they don't, then you have an issue with the media.

Canizorro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
I can play it using other DVD software, but I still can't play it with in media player. May just be stuck with using this other software, but if anyone knows how to reinstall the codec that came with Vista, then the steps would be appreciated.