Living with ACPI

G

Is there any way to run Windows2000 with ACPI and not share IRQ's? I just built a new system:

Athlon 1.4, Copper Dragon Orb3 7000RPM w/ Arctic Silver II, Epox 8k7a, 512 PC2400 C2 Corsair, Geforce2 GTS, 60gb IBM 7200 ATA100, Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW, Teac 40x Reader, Lian Li Aluminum PC65 & Enermax 430watt Power Supply

My system hangs for about about a second restricting mouse movement when using multiple devices at the same time (video, sound, nic, usb). Sure enough, all the devices in use when the system hitches share the same IRQ thanks to ACPI and its brilliant IRQ steering ability.

I removed ACPI and configured the devices IRQ's manually in the bios then ran some benchmarks. No hicups or hangs now but my 3DMark2001 score dropped about 100+ points. Its not a lot, but still a noticeable drop. I reinstalled ACPI and ran 3DMark2001 again and the score was back to what it was. ACPI is obviously doing something right, but the system still hangs briefly in windows when using devices sharing the same IRQ.

I have tried everything to get my system and ACPI to get along but nothing has worked thus far. I tried manually setting IRQ's in the bios and then removing them in windows and letting it reconfigure them... still no luck.

Is there a way to change your IRQ's with ACPI present?

I am tempted to just remove it again and take the very minor hit in performance so my system wont hang, but I would like to think that there is some way for ACPI and my devices IRQ's to live happily in the same system.

Any ideas?

G

Yes there is. Right click my computer, properties, click hardware tab, then device manager, click the plus beside computer, right click on the Advanced Cnfiguration and Power Interface, properties, driver tab, update driver, then proceed threw the wizard, click display list of known drivers..., then show all hardware for this device, then click standard pc. Let it do its thing retstart and reistall the drivers(2k will do it on its own). Only prob i have found is the system will not shutdown automatically.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

G

Actually thats what I did when I said that I removed ACPI. It lowered my performance slightly, then I changed from Standard PC back to ACPI PC and my benchmarks were back to normal. Thanks for the response though =)

I would like to know if there is a way to change IRQ's without changing from ACPI PC to Standard PC?

G

No man sorry from my understanding its friggin bullet proof.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

G

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy (just released this week) and a generic 3com 10/100 nic

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
then it may be a usb problem.

on some via chipsets (like my kt266) the usb is flaky.
one of the symptoms is the same as you describe here.

use a normal mouse and see if that suddenly makes your problems go away (unless u have a usb keyboard also :).

if it is usb...many people have opted for a usb controller card.
others have tried the usb filter patch from via.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
i just don't get how it could be an irq problem.
all your devices look to be acpi compliant and thus should not care about a share irq.

G

I am running an Epox 8k7a board amd761 chipset (not via) but you bring up a good point. maybe it is a usb thing.

I could try using the ps2 converter for my mouse and see if that fixes it. But it still doesnt explain why when I remove ACPI everything works fine :(