HDTV, Dish Network, VCR, Tivo

Just purchased a DLP. I have Dish Network (SD); am upgrading to their
basic HD package and receiver (the 811) soon. Dish's DVR (the 921) is
still cost-prohibitive (IMO).

For now, could I use my simple VCR to record content? How about adding
a low-cost Tivo? Or are either of these formats incompatible with my
configuration?
8 answers Last reply
More about hdtv dish network tivo

    Thanks. What will the VCR/DVR do with HD content? Record static? Could
    it damage the recording devices?

    I envision using DVI output from the 811. Perhaps I can send SD out
    S-Video or composite to the VCR/DVR. I guess it depends on whether the
    receiver supports that.

    Just wondering if it's a good time to get a Tivo....until Dish's DVR
    package comes down in price. Best Buy has the Tivo TCD540080 80-hour
    for $169 after rebates.

    Thanks. What will the VCR/DVR do with HD content? Record static? Could
    it damage the recording devices?

    I envision using DVI output from the 811. Perhaps I can send SD out
    S-Video or composite to the VCR/DVR. I guess it depends on whether the
    receiver supports that.

    Just wondering if it's a good time to get a Tivo....until Dish's DVR
    package comes down in price. Best Buy has the Tivo TCD540080 80-hour
    for $169 after rebates.

    You won't be able to record HD on a simple VCR or DVR. But you can split
    your incoming signal and record the analog SD versions of programs that are
    also broadcast in analog SD.

    mack
    austin

    "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just purchased a DLP. I have Dish Network (SD); am upgrading to their
    > basic HD package and receiver (the 811) soon. Dish's DVR (the 921) is
    > still cost-prohibitive (IMO).
    >
    > For now, could I use my simple VCR to record content? How about adding
    > a low-cost Tivo? Or are either of these formats incompatible with my
    > configuration?

    I'm used to a $5/month lease.

    "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote
    in news:zbDwd.54051$yf.47900@fe2.texas.rr.com:

    > You won't be able to record HD on a simple VCR or DVR. But you can
    > split your incoming signal and record the analog SD versions of
    > programs that are also broadcast in analog SD.
    >
    > mack
    > austin

    Since HD content is down converted to SD thru the RCA outs, HD content can
    be recorded but in SD format.

    Guy, I am in the same situation with DirecTV. I m not ready to buy a
    pricy HD-DVR as much as I want to...

    ...so I did the next best thing!

    I have a standard HDTV DirecTV receiver feeding my Sony XBR, and a
    SD-DirecTIVO shares the under-my-set space. So I watch what HDTV that I
    can live and rely on the SD-DirecTIVO for SD backup.

    Harry
    Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
    Check out our daily HDTV news!

    Interesting; thanks. I was thinking about doing the same thing....but
    I'm not sure it's worth all of the hassle to me. :^(

    Somewhat similar situation. I have a Sony KP-57WS500, currently
    getting HDTV from OTA and STB, then DISH receiver for AT180+locals.
    Thinking of going whole hog and getting the E* 921. However, I have
    TiVo, with a lifetime subscription. Would it be possible to output the
    921 to the Sony with the DVI, and also output the SD signal of the 921
    to the TiVo with the 'S' connector? The TiVo output would then go into
    one of the other video inputs of the Sony. I have the DISH 500 two
    antennae configuration, one for 110/119, one for 148, going into a
    SW64. (I have a second DISH/TiVo combo in another room that will stay
    SD). Want to do AEP w/HD pack. I assume with AEP I get locals
    included, but will have to pay the additional receiver fee.

    Any help/thoughts appreciated.

    --
    dendavis

HDTV Tivo Home Theatre