Closed

Problem with Windows XP Fresh Install!!

Hey guys, I have reinstalled windows multiple times and never encountered this error..

I put the winxp cd and ran setup, it formatted the drive and everything, but then when it boots up XP and runs setup to config timezone and **** it interrupts and says the following:

Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

The parameter is incorrect.


(This is a legal copy of windows xp and everything is legit) Why am I getting this error? I can't progress through my windows install until this is fixed!!!
22 answers Last reply
More about problem windows fresh install
  1. bradk_1749 said:
    Hey guys, I have reinstalled windows multiple times and never encountered this error..

    I put the winxp cd and ran setup, it formatted the drive and everything, but then when it boots up XP and runs setup to config timezone and **** it interrupts and says the following:

    Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

    Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

    The parameter is incorrect.


    (This is a legal copy of windows xp and everything is legit) Why am I getting this error? I can't progress through my windows install until this is fixed!!!


    Try cleaning your Windows XP CD. You could also try another CD.
  2. Believe me, I've tried, any other ideas?
  3. I would try one DIMM RAM in slot 1 only. RAM is often the culprit when loading software (windows OS in your case) causes system failure. You might also try a different CD ROM.
  4. Possibly a new IDE cable to the CD ROM.
  5. I've tried the one stick of Ram thing,, doesn't work - also the CD-ROM is a SATA
  6. ok I decided to go ahead and wipe the current installation because it's obviously corrupt... so now that I am at the Win XP Pro Setup Partition screen it lists 2 partitions..

    C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 131,076 <130566 MB FREE>
    Unpartitioned Space 8 MB

    What the hell?! It's a 500gig SATA!
  7. Your MB BIOS does not recognize the 500 GB HD properly. You might try reading the MB manual and see if you can find a way to set the BIOS setting to detect the HD properly.
  8. Alright, well either way I just reformatted again and tried to install and get the same damn fatal error... There is NOTHING wrong with my XP discs, what is going on?!

    In my BIOS is says
    Device: Hard Disk
    Vendor: WDC-5000
    Size: 500.1GB

    SMART -AUTO
    DMA MODE -AUTO
    LBA/Large Mode -AUTO

    everything in BIOS looks like it registers the HD just fine... all 500 GB
  9. Is the CD ROM you are using new? Maybe try a different CD ROM. Also, Western Digital data Lifeguard tool will allocate the HD correctly. Try and make a bootable floppy and riun it:

    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1
  10. Alright I am now prompted

    "THe file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located and click OK.

    So I put in D:\I38\asms

    and click ok and nothing happens... any ideas?
  11. Hi there,

    I've had similar problems installing Windows XP on a 500 gig SATA hard drive. I'm not sure what the solution is just yet, but this might help:

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Flo ppy-F6-47807.shtml

    Apparently, the XP installation CD doesn't have the SATA drivers you need to install windows directly to a SATA hard disk. The above article shows you how to insert the appropriate driver on an installation CD.

    Going to try this myself. Hopefully it works..... :??:
  12. jazza said:
    Hi there,

    I've had similar problems installing Windows XP on a 500 gig SATA hard drive. I'm not sure what the solution is just yet, but this might help:

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Flo ppy-F6-47807.shtml

    Apparently, the XP installation CD doesn't have the SATA drivers you need to install windows directly to a SATA hard disk. The above article shows you how to insert the appropriate driver on an installation CD.

    Going to try this myself. Hopefully it works..... :??:

    He's right, if your motherboard doesn't have native sata you'll have to load the drivers for it by hitting F6 at the beginning of the windows installation
  13. Also, what version of XP are you trying to install... no service pack... SP1 or SP2? Your best bet is to get a CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it... because earlier versions of XP can't recognize drives greater than 137GB.
  14. So new system, Intel DG33BU motherboard, SATA drives but not RAID. Originally booted up XP SP1 install disk, install got to "Installing Devices" then Bluescreened. Spoke to a few folks and apparently SP1 doesn't support my motherboard, so I needed to get an SP2 CD. OK, got an SP2 CD, booted up, started the install, and I don't even get as far as the SP1 CD, it instantly says:

    Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

    Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

    The parameter is incorrect.

    Now, I have a floppy drive, but what I don't have is a floppy with SATA drivers on it. Why did XP SP1 get past this and SP2 not? Why am I crashing earlier? Where do I get SATA Drivers for this mobo? They're not on the Intel site ;(

    Help?
  15. MacAllen said:
    So new system, Intel DG33BU motherboard, SATA drives but not RAID. Originally booted up XP SP1 install disk, install got to "Installing Devices" then Bluescreened. Spoke to a few folks and apparently SP1 doesn't support my motherboard, so I needed to get an SP2 CD. OK, got an SP2 CD, booted up, started the install, and I don't even get as far as the SP1 CD, it instantly says:

    Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

    Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

    The parameter is incorrect.

    Now, I have a floppy drive, but what I don't have is a floppy with SATA drivers on it. Why did XP SP1 get past this and SP2 not? Why am I crashing earlier? Where do I get SATA Drivers for this mobo? They're not on the Intel site ;(
    '
    Help?


    Quote:
    Where do I get SATA Drivers for this mobo?


    I suggest you start a new thread and list your questions there. Have you tried one DIMM of your RAM in slot one only and loading your OS that way? You might go into BIOS and bump up the memory voltage a notch or set the memory voltage to mfg. specs. Memory is often the cause of system failure when trying to run software like the installation of an OS. It has happened to me.

    Open the MB support cd on another machine. Double click "My Computer" then open the MB CD files then open the 'Drivers' folder. From there, open the Sata folder and copy everything from the Sata folder to a floppy except the GUI and the Readme file.
  16. Thought about a new thread, but I have this exact problem so figured I'd spare spamming the board with redundant threads.

    Checked the Intel DG33BU Mobo CD....no SATA drivers, just video, lan, etc. Nothing on intel.com, either.

    Pulled out 1 of the 2 DIMM's, no difference. Swapped it, no difference. It's wierd. I got further with my XP SP1 install CD than my XP SP2.
  17. Give this a read. I don't know, maybe it will give some clues.

    http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/1075.shtml
  18. well.. thanks for all the reply, but i must tell you guys how i solve the problem.
    i read the same topic on other forums and finally heard that it could be related to a bad cd burning process, dust on cds or even a bad cd/dvd reader.

    Here i am , i have 2 cd/dvd readers. After getting the very same error message of everyone got, i swapped the installation cd to a different cd/dvd reader. now the installation goes smooth now.

    just some experence
  19. Quote:
    well.. thanks for all the reply, but i must tell you guys how i solve the problem.
    i read the same topic on other forums and finally heard that it could be related to a bad cd burning process, dust on cds or even a bad cd/dvd reader.

    Here i am , i have 2 cd/dvd readers. After getting the very same error message of everyone got, i swapped the installation cd to a different cd/dvd reader. now the installation goes smooth now.

    just some experence


    arrow, this thread is from July 2007. If you had read the thread, you would have seen where I suggest OP try a different DVD drive. Read the date of the thread before posting. Often it is better to start a new thread of your own. Most of the posters in this thread are no longer here.
  20. Just so you know, it was the CD/DVD Reader ... lame...
  21. Thirteen months later you come back to say, "it was the CD/DVD Reader...lame..." LOL. Read my second post. Reader?
  22. This topic has been closed by Buwish
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows XP