Sign in with
Your question

dual boot problem vista and ubuntu 7.04

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 4, 2007 3:39:41 PM

I have a toshiba m115-s3094a and i have windows vista enterprise edition. I shrank the volume and made space for my ubuntu install , started the live cd and proceeded but the vista loader was not recognized. I went ahead with the install only to find that upon rebooting it only boots directly into ubuntu. I have restored everything as I began from my image file but would like to get this working. Any suggestions?
October 4, 2007 8:41:42 PM

Let me recycle my post form here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236300-50-cant-ubuntu...

Recycling is good for the environment :) 

Linux uses GRUB ( the Grand Unified Boot Loader ) to load the operating system or systems.

The GRUB configuration file which is normally /boot/grub/menu.lst ( /etc/grub.conf on Fedora / RedHat / CentOS / etc ) should contain something like this

title Ubuntu
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.2xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
initrd /initrd-2.6.2xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title Vista
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

assuming Vista in on /dev/sda1 and Linux on /dev/sda2

/dev/sda is the 1st SATA HDD on the system if it has SATA.

If it has PATA then it can be /dev/hda or in some cases /dev/sda even though it is PATA.

Now we know Vista can be weird so this might not work.

If you boot from the Ubuntu Live CD and look at your hard drive and open /boot/grub/menu.lst in an editor and post the contents for us here that would help us try to figure out what went wrong.

:) 
October 7, 2007 11:45:02 PM

sorry, i am new with this, how do i find the menu.lst file when i went through the directory on the live cd i see a boot folder but no grub folder . i also tried to look around for help on this i typed vim /boot/grub/menu.lst but it only says new directory 0,0,-1 . i dont think this is what i am looking for.
October 8, 2007 8:48:12 AM

Did you say you restored your laptop reinstalling vista or is Ubuntu still installed on your hard drive?

If ubuntu is still installed and you can boot into it once you get to the GUI and log in click on Applications, Accessories, Terminal

cd /boot/grub/

ls -al

fdisk -l /dev/sda

your_favorite_text_editor /boot/grub/menu.lst

"your_favorite_text_editor" can be gedit, kedit, vi, emacs, or any other graphical or non-graphical text editor you may have installed on your system.

fdisk will display the partitions on the disk so you can figure out what (hdx,x) lines to use

Remember GRUB starts are 0 so /dev/sda1 is hd0,0

/dev/sda2 is hd0,1

/dev/sda3 is hd0,2

and so on

You can also browse to it using the GUI file manager and use the default graphical editor on the menu.lst file

It is recommended you make a few backup copies just in case.

The entries of interest are down at the bottom of the file.

GL :) 
!