Sata 1 Terabyte HDD having pblm on installing W2K

Ajay_04

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
My System Dell Precision 490
HDD : 1Terabyte Sata ( Samsung HD 103UJ)

Need a W2K driver for 1Terabyte Sata ( Samsung HD 103UJ).I am installing windows 2000 server on a terabyte hdd, it shows only 127.99GB.Is there any HDD driver available for the same.

Yes the bios recognize the HDD correctly as Device - Samsung HD103UJ, and Capacity = 1.0 TB.
Its quiet a new PC Dell Precision 490. I think if I can get a driver which can be used by pressing F6 while Windows 2000 initial stage of installation then it will correctly take the HDD.

Actually the PC comes with a raid controller and PATA HDD on which I am not able to install w2K , it can take w2K3 or XP with the dell supported drivers for Raid but not w2k.So i bought this SATA hdd drive to install W2K.

I was able to get a driver form Intel.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1809&OSFullName=Windows+2000*&lang=eng&strOSs=19&submit=Go%21

Which is Intel Matrix storage for AHCI/Raid controller (Intel 5000 Chipset ) and installed by selecting AHCI mode for the SATA hdd in bios and pressing F6 while installing W2K and I had got the correct size of the HDD which shown as 953859 MB. But after the hdd format and copying file it comes again to the " Insert the disk labeled Intel Matrix Storage Manage driver in to drive A: and press Enter.And the system stuck there and not able go further and installation stops there.

If Selected ATA instead of AHCI in the bios the W2K installation will show only 130 GB ( 131069)
And after the installation on W2K using 130 gb and after SP4 still can't utilze the full HDD.Also Intel Application accelerator failed to install.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hi Ajay_04!

- Without a W2k driver for the southbridge (Intel gives a driver for the Ich7r maximum, other sources are less secure and easy) you can't use Ahci nor Raid mode. You must use Ata mode, or whatever your Bios calls it.

- This mode can access >130GB. It needs an Sp (take Sp4 of course) and setting EnableBigLba in the registry.
http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm
They act there:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

- The simple way is to install W2k on a volume smaller than 130GB, like 6GB which is good practice anyway, and later put the Sp4 and EnableBigLba to access the full disk.

- But if you use HfSlip, you can integrate both the Sp4 and the registry setting so that your homemade Cd installs a W2k that accesses the whole disk right from the beginning. Works on my 500GB Sata on Ich10r. More complicated ways exist as well.

- 2TB is the next limit, much harder. Not just for W2k.

- On W2k, when formatting during installation, volumes must be <100GB or be the rest of the disk. This is a known bug that MS didn't improve. Use other software if it disturbs you.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Did I get it properly?

Because in case Intel gives a W2k driver for you southbridge (maximum Ich7r) then you should use it, combined with Ahci in the Bios, and it is supposed to work.

What doesn't work in a natural way is using an Ich7r driver for a more recent southbridge. Though some people achieve it.