Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Command Prompt Is Not Working

Last response: in Windows XP
July 27, 2007 11:40:59 PM

When I type in ipconfig or ping I get a message in command prompt that these commands are not recognized. Any ideas? Thanks

More about : command prompt working

Anonymous
July 28, 2007 12:18:50 PM

In a command prompt, type path and make sure C:\Windows\System32 is in the path.

Grumpy
July 28, 2007 1:32:56 PM

Quote:
In a command prompt, type path and make sure C:\Windows\System32 is in the path.

Grumpy

I still get the message it's an unrecognized command when I type C:\Windows\System32. Tried just C:\ as well and got the same unrecognized command. However, when I type in D:\ or G:\. 2 partitions on the drive, it switches from
C:\Documents and Settings to G: or D: but it won't switch to C:\ or C:\Windows\System32. Tried typing in C:\ and C:\Windows\System32 in G:\ and D:\ and got the unrecognized command.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2007 8:34:34 PM

I'm confused. Did you try the "Path" command in the command prompt? If so, what is the output? Is ping.exe & ipconfig.exe in C:\Windows\System32?

Grumpy
July 28, 2007 10:27:55 PM

When I open command prompt it shows C:\Documents and Settings\jms. When I type C:\Windows\System32 in I still get the message it's an unrecognized command. I tried typing in just C:\ and C: as well and got the same unrecognized command. However, when I type in D: or G:, 2 partitions on the drive, it switches from
C:\Documents and Settings to G: or D: but it won't switch to C:\ or C:\Windows\System32 when I type them in at D:\ or G:\, I get unrecognized command.
Anonymous
July 28, 2007 10:38:30 PM

Why are you typing C:\Windows\System32? Type the word path and post the output.

Grumpy
July 29, 2007 12:08:20 AM

Sorry, miss understood you. This is the path:
PATH=Prgram Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DDL Sharred;c:\Common File\Roxio Shared \9.0DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL

Looks like the problem is the PATH, how can I correct this? Thanks
July 29, 2007 6:54:06 AM

I take it you did a search for those files to verify that they are actually there?
Anonymous
July 29, 2007 12:30:21 PM

Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> Edit System variables Path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem should be the first 2 folders.

Grumpy
July 29, 2007 1:31:51 PM

Quote:
Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> Edit System variables Path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem should be the first 2 folders.

Grumpy

There is PATH and PATHEXT, do I edit PATH? Do I just copy and past the above or do I need C:\ or anything else to precede it? Thanks
Anonymous
July 29, 2007 1:57:16 PM

Edit PATH. Just Copy & Paste and add a ; after Wbem.

Grumpy
July 29, 2007 2:03:04 PM

Quote:
Edit PATH. Just Copy & Paste and add a ; after Wbem.

Grumpy

That fixed it, thanks, appreciate the help
September 1, 2007 8:41:02 AM

Great help from grumpy above! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
August 30, 2009 8:24:58 PM

Hi, what do I do if the first two are not the Path folders?
Thanks
Anonymous
December 9, 2009 12:11:22 PM

g-paw said:
I still get the message it's an unrecognized command when I type C:\Windows\System32. Tried just C:\ as well and got the same unrecognized command. However, when I type in D:\ or G:\. 2 partitions on the drive, it switches from
C:\Documents and Settings to G: or D: but it won't switch to C:\ or C:\Windows\System32. Tried typing in C:\ and C:\Windows\System32 in G:\ and D:\ and got the unrecognized command.

This works:

Right click your command prompt icon and select properties. In the Command Prompt Properties window, change the "Start in:" setting to C:\Windows\System32. Click "Apply" and "OK".

That sets the default correctly. From there you should be able to run commands without problems
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hel...
Anonymous
August 22, 2010 10:06:51 AM

m also encountering a same problm.........f ne solution den plz inform me also....
August 22, 2010 10:17:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!