Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts down without asking me!!!

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 28, 2007 8:30:46 AM

Hi. My computer keeps on shutting down automatically.Sometimes i can get into Windows before it shuts down but then i hear a beep from the motherboard and it gives me 5 minutes to finish what i am doing!!

Any ideas what this could be? Sorry cant type much more info cus i have just had the beep!

More about : computer shuts

July 28, 2007 8:34:42 PM

Much more info please!! What service pack level? What messages do you get? Open case and check all fans running. If you go into BIOS and check CPU temp report back the temp and if it still shuts down. If it does, its a hardware problem. What CPU, graphics card, PSU, make/model.

Mike.
July 30, 2007 8:05:56 AM

Hi. I am at work now so i have time to give you more info. I am operating XP with service pack 2. Graphics card was an ATI Radeon XT 1600 (i think), CPU is a Core Duo 2 6300 overclocked to 2.02ghz (this is all from memory so i can't be sure of the figures). PSU i cant remember the name but its a sturdy 500W supply. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA965P-S3

I noticed that the fan on my graphics card stopped running and it was reaching a staggering temperature. My processor was running at about 36c.

I changed the graphics card but i am now getting no response at all from my monitor! Not sure about the new graphics card as i had problems getting it to fit in the case and plug in to the pci express slot.

Any help would be much appreciated - cheers.
Related resources
July 30, 2007 10:40:13 AM

Check your event log quickly next time you get into Windows. Might be a clue there to help get you started.
July 30, 2007 12:45:55 PM

I should add. I have had this computer running well for about a year apart from the odd blue screen. I have recently upgraded from a 15” screen to a 22” Acer flatscreen.

Could this be the reason why my old graphics cards fan stopped working and thus overheated? (i presume the fan should be on at all times or is it only on when using more graphics intensive applications?)
July 30, 2007 2:37:23 PM

No, fans can just get clogged up with fluff. What is new graphics card? Try removing and reseating the new card. Have you connected extra power lead to video card(if it needs one)?

Mike.
August 1, 2007 10:58:47 AM

A good trick would be to remove your case cover. Place a large fan along side the case and have it blow directly on the Mobo on full. Try starting up again. If it stays on longer then you know you have a heat related issue. Simple test.
!