Copying XP to another hard drive

I have an 8 GB hard drive in my computer right now. If I want to replace it
with an 80 GB hard drive, what is the easiest way to do so? I have a cable
to hook both hard drives up to copy over files, but I would think that XP
needs to be installed first. I have a recovery disk that will restore to
Windows 98 and then I could install XP using my XP disk, but I'm hoping there
is an easier way to do this. If anyone could help, I would greatly
appreciate it.
4 answers Last reply
More about copying hard drive

    Firstly are you certain that your motherboard's BIOS will recognize an 80GB
    drive? Older BIOS often have size limitations.
    Secondly do you want to install XP to the drive and then simply copy your
    data off the old drive or do you want to upgrade from Windows 98 to XP?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 06:41:03 -0700, JediJosh wrote:

    > I have an 8 GB hard drive in my computer right now. If I want to replace it
    > with an 80 GB hard drive, what is the easiest way to do so? I have a cable
    > to hook both hard drives up to copy over files, but I would think that XP
    > needs to be installed first. I have a recovery disk that will restore to
    > Windows 98 and then I could install XP using my XP disk, but I'm hoping there
    > is an easier way to do this. If anyone could help, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.

    I had to replace my XP drive last August. Although there have been mixed
    opinions on the method, I decided to use the tools that came with the drive
    to transfer XP to the new drive. It worked well and am still using the
    transferred operating system.

    There were very specific directions for this process (some in drive manual
    and some on the CD with the tools). Besides following the directions, I
    also made sure that I had the most recent version of Western Digital's
    Lifeguard tools before starting.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    JediJosh wrote:
    > I have an 8 GB hard drive in my computer right now. If I want to replace it
    > with an 80 GB hard drive, what is the easiest way to do so? I have a cable
    > to hook both hard drives up to copy over files, but I would think that XP
    > needs to be installed first. I have a recovery disk that will restore to
    > Windows 98 and then I could install XP using my XP disk, but I'm hoping there
    > is an easier way to do this. If anyone could help, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.

    If all else fails, I would think you could do an XP "Backup" to the new
    hard disk, then restore back to the new disk. If Backup is not on your
    system, then look for it on your XP install disk.

    Alternatively people do make software that will let you directly copy
    over your whole system to the new disk. I suspect they charge you for
    it too though. Google should be able to give you leads on this approach.

    Good luck....

    Bill

    "JediJosh" <JediJosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have an 8 GB hard drive in my computer right now. If I want to replace it
    >with an 80 GB hard drive, what is the easiest way to do so? I have a cable
    >to hook both hard drives up to copy over files, but I would think that XP
    >needs to be installed first. I have a recovery disk that will restore to
    >Windows 98 and then I could install XP using my XP disk, but I'm hoping there
    >is an easier way to do this. If anyone could help, I would greatly
    >appreciate it.

    I just used a utility called Copy/Wipe from www.bootitng.com to copy a
    40 gb drive to a new 120 gb. The drive had 3 primary partitions plus
    an extended partition with 4 logical drives in it.

    Copy/Wipe transferred everything and it all worked okay after the
    transfer. However I used the option in Copy/Wipe to enlarge the old
    drive partition so as to use all of the space on the new drive. This
    mostly worked, but one of the logical drives was not enlarged and the
    drive was left with some unallocated space after the transfer.

    I then had to use another utility to fix up the partition sizes and
    make use of the unallocated space. But overall the results were
    acceptable.

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada