Strike 1, 2 and 3

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
My first real foray into linux was last year, debian sarge unstable...

Install went very well and I even managed to learn a lot of commands plus recompiling a custom kernel. Managed to figure out how to edit my grub menu, ect/fstab file, plus install all my devices (mostly USB) and the useful software to make them all work.

Then tragedy happened, I installed 1 stupid package with apt-get and for some crazy reason it uninstalled EVERYTHING (all my packages) including X-server. I was left with a very basic linux system needless to say. It took me almost a month to get linux set up and working (what with my limited time and all). So I deleted it completely and just used windows that was installed on my first drive.

Tonight I jumped into a ubuntu install. The install also went smooth. Then grub refused to work. After trying 3 different suggestions to get it to work it still refuses to get past *error 17*

This all seems so simple. Ubuntu is on /dev/hdb1.
Grub is correct, menu.lst is correct and it's driving me to near insanity.

Perhaps some one with a little experience with ubuntu can shed a little light here?

Perhaps I'll just go back to debian....

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I've only rechecked everything like 50 times now :(

linux drive is /dev/hdb
windows is /dev/hda

I cannot say that I know all the ins and outs, because I don't.

I have tried that very same procedure you suggested.

plus a few more and a few more since i originally posted

Sorry to hear you are having problems. A few questoins

Is Grub installed on hda or hdb?
Which drive is set first in you boot order in BIOS?
Which version of Ubuntu are you using?
Are you dual booting?

If you could post you menu.lst we can have a look for you.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
well i have to IDE drives on the primary channel - 1 cd drive on secondary

2 scsi drives on my adaptec card

and from what im reading im going to have to do a lil tinkering with my device.map file

right now it says...

(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(hd2) /dev/sda
(hd3) /dev/sdb

im gonna tinker for a bit lemme know if you have any suggestions beyond what i've read here http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#device.map

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
well... i changed the boot order in my BIOS...

originally it was PRI/Mast - 1st scsi drive - 2nd scsi drive - Sec/master

after i changed it to reflect the same exact order as my device.map - i got the same exact error 17

i boot with live CD and got multiple errors using grub-install --recheck /dev/(it refused to do anything here with any device)

i tried changing the device.map in several different orders then changed it back to the original i started grub with the --device.map option

after tinkering for a while longer I lost it... i tossed in the windows CD to remove grub

I didnt make it back in time to Press any key to Boot CD

and POOF grub was working and I am now typing from Ubuntu 7.10 heh

WTF

apparently I stumbled into the answer and I have NO idea what made it work.

Peace.