My new system is taking forever to boot.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Hey all, I'm out of ideas as to why my new (Socket AM2, 4GB DDR2 800) system is taking so much longer (four to five minutes) to go through POST/boot in general than my old system (Socket A, 2GB DDR 400) (less than 1 minute).

The specs for this system are:

Operating System: Windows XP Home (I know it doesn't fully support the 4GB RAM, I'm working towards a 64bit OS)

1 ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe (Socket AM2)
2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Windsor 2.6GHz (Also Socket AM2, of course)
3 Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-pin DDR2 800 SDRAM
4 Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA 3.0GBps hard drive (perpendicular recording tech)(16MB Cache, 8.5/10/4.16)
5 Western Digital Caviar 250GB SATA 3.0GBps hard drive (16MB cache 4.2/8.9/10.9)
6 Western Digital Caviar 40GB Ultra ATA100 Hard drive (8MB cache, 8.9/10.9/4.2) (This is the drive I'm booting from)
7 Lite-On SATA combo drive.
8 EVGA GeForce 8600GTS PCI-E 256MB video card

The two SATA hard drives are plugged into SATA ports 1 and 2 on the motherboard, and the Lite-On combo drive is plugged into SATA port 3, the WD 40GB drive is obviously plugged into the only IDE port on the motherboard.

POST gets through the RAM count fine, but takes forever at "Detecting IDE drives", then hangs again at a black screen with a blinking cursor for a minute or so before going to the Windows XP loading screen. It runs like an absolute dream once it's booted up, but the wait for it to boot makes it inconvenient when changing things that require a restart.

The Quick POST option is enabled.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, also if I've left something out that is of importance don't hesitate to ask me for it.

Thanks!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Check the jumper settings on the IDE HD. Mine used to do that if I had it set to master drive but only one was connected. See if there is a single drive setting or cable select. Or try booting from one of the SATAs.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Check the jumper settings on the IDE HD. Mine used to do that if I had it set to master drive but only one was connected. See if there is a single drive setting or cable select. Or try booting from one of the SATAs.

That did the trick, thanks!

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
hi, I have a simmilar issue, I have the mobo listed in my sig, and im using 2 ide drives and I also get an almost 5 minute boot, i have the jumpers set to master and slave

initially i had an issue with the motherboard since i wanted to use 2 optical drives and 2 hd's, the only way it all worked to connect the opticals to the hd(primary connection) and the hd's to the optical (secondary) ide plugs, that was teh only way i got the system to work at all, in bios it shows still that the optical drives are not recognized, but i can boot to windows, so maby thats the issue(i did build the system about a year ago) and since i had always long boots, the instruction was misleading, the only way to make it work for me was to do the total opposeite to the info that was in the manual.

thx for any info.