Very bad performance in multi-tasking

escape1979uk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Hey there.

I recently installed Vista ultimate and am happy overall however there seems to be a huge problem with CPU usage and multitasking..

On XP, when playing World of warcraft, I would always have something working in the backgroup.. be it a download, archive extraction, decoding downloads from usenet servers etc, I would even very often dual log world of warcraft and play 2 accounts simultaniously, alt tabbing between the windows.

With this, I had no problems.. the dual logging WoW caused a bit more graphic lag but nothing too crazy.

Now in Vista, If i so much as have a download running in the background, everything shudders to a halt...
FPS on WoW drops to aroun 3 fps. alt tabbing between windows is nigh on impossible and as for dual logging WoW, its a huge no no... Im lucky to get 1fps and as soon as i try to move a char, it freezes totallly.

anyone else noticed this or heard of a workaround? Im hoping that the performance and reliability patch will fix this but thats 2 weeks away.

p4 3.02
2g ram
geforce 7800GT
160gb SATA Hdd,

thanks!

This may be a hard drive issue, I'd suggest getting the newest driver for your SATA controller (versus using the basic or an older one, if you have that HDD in SATA mode) based on your motherboard's chipset. While many things can cause this problem, the fact that downloads and simultaneous HDD access relate to your trouble examples may point to the HDD and it's relatively easy to test.

phoenix_risin

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Actually I just got a new system that has Vista on it. I have had a Major time trying to multi task. I blame Vista.
I have went through two brand new out the box systems One a Hp and one a Acer(that is what I am on now) and both have had the same issues with multi tasking. Both have had Vista Home premium.
I decided to give this one to my son and have me one built and have XP added instead of Vista. I just found out I can pick it up late tomorrow afternoon. Personally I can not wait to see if in fact the XP will run better in regards to Multi tasking.

I get on here and have to reboot 3 or 4 times a day just to get it to work half the time.
The Mail is lagging so bad I gave totally up on it and decided to check it through the ISP's site.

I actually came here to ask advice but am unsure where to put the question.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I don't know if it's a vista issue or not, but to be honest, your CPU is not a good multitasker, especially for running 2 game windows. If you can you should try dropping in a newer CPU as an upgrade. Or if your RAM is DDR400, you might want to get a cheap Socket 939 mobo and a cheap S939 A64 X2 3800+ or 4200+ to breath some new life in that system.

ASUS A8V-XE Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131125

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
firstly time away from WoW is only a good thing.

but if you insist of being ripped off for a game which by modern standards is technichly "crap" then you should upgrade all your drivers which there real driver not the MSV defualt drivers (make sure you rid your self of the old driver first./