Sign in with
Your question

Full R600 review, Only Games bench'd.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2007 2:33:44 PM

This is a review we've been waiting for.

IT-review's R600

Enjoy!!!!!! :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 2:36:02 PM

Ive already seen it. Not too sure either, maybe more FUD, maybe not. We will have to see, especially since theres no ocing or cf
May 9, 2007 2:39:07 PM

The only thing I have to say is why would anyone this close to NDA lift, lie?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 2:43:41 PM

Im not saying that, its just theres contradiction or Im not getting something here. They said
Quote:
There are two things we can conclude from our first round of testing on this pretty obsolete, but still the highest-end chipset on the market for Socket AM2. First thing, there are some very strange "happenings" with Company of Heroes that forced us to suspect some driver problems. It seems possible that AA/AF settings have some problems with CoH and Radeon HD2900XT, so take these results with a tiny bit of salt. We'll add sugar to "neutralize" a bit later. We noticed similar problems (a bit worse, though) with Radeon HD 2600/2400 when we played around with them last week, but they have entirely different set of drivers that aren't ready right now. Video - very soon.
That sounds like the game it performed in best wasnt counted because it performed poorly? I just dont get it. Maybe its the russian? Who knows? But I still think we all have to wait
May 9, 2007 2:48:08 PM

well most of the recent news from various websites (Dailytech, Fudzilla, Inquirer) have been fairly consistent in reporting similar news (maybe ripping them from each other). The Dailytech benchmarks looks consistent with these findings though the 8800 GTS does better in this one though.
May 9, 2007 2:48:18 PM

All that they're saying is that AA + AF may not have been working properly because of it wasn't consistant with all the other tests. I am with you though in the fact of my final judgement will be once I see a bigger site test it with a Core2.

EDIT: But I'm not expecting much... :?
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 2:53:20 PM

At 4xAA and 16xAF it beats the GTX in CoH. What I dont get is why didnt they just turn it off? Sounds flakey
May 9, 2007 3:02:07 PM

First thing I thought also. Whatever, only 5 more days until we have so much to read and look at to make us sick.

One thing I have to point out though, if AMD didn't delay the R600 think about how boring the last 6 months would have been, atleast in forums and discussions. We could talk about Barcelona but that would have been boring. AMD is to close about that and nothing has come out unless they wanted it too(which isn't much), and nothing from Intel that was anything close to as interesting as Conroe.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 3:06:50 PM

Yeah, its almost as if AMD doesnt want to let anything out so that Penryn will be "trapped" in its process so at least a lil sun will shine on Barcy. As for the 2900, we can and will blame Henri if it doesnt shine, as he said to blame him for all the 2900 crap heheh
May 9, 2007 3:14:34 PM

Ya I remember Henri saying that everything for R600 was his fault. But as I see it, the R600 is the PS3 of the this generation of GPU's. Some parts about the chip have GREAT potential but too many other crippling aspects that make those great parts useless.

No-one will make a final conclusion for the R600 though until we see a DX10 bench. Everyone will be saying "what about that crazy shader output that the R600 can do." -- "it's designed for DX10"

So even come the 14th it won't be over.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 3:32:53 PM

No mention of the drivers they used for either IHV from what I saw, and even from the DT articles they used 2 different set of drivers.

So considering that there's another 2 drivers since the last ones DT used, I'd want to see what ones they were using first.

Anywhoo, still waiting for the thorough tests/reviews from Xbit and Digit-Life, and the likes.

BTW, there's alot of game missing, so not 'all games', a few like Call of Juarez, NFS:Carbon, Splinter Cell, and a few others that offer different gameplay.

Still would love to see shadermark on this these cards.
May 9, 2007 3:46:28 PM

The idea behind the Topic title was no 3dmark. Will change.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 3:59:31 PM

Ah ok, 'only games' benched.

Cool, makes sense now.

Just thinking it would be like an Xbit review, they bench like 17 games plus 3Dmark.
May 9, 2007 5:04:22 PM

Are you kidding me, Fanboyz will never let up. Until a DX10 bench, we won't hear the end of it.
May 9, 2007 5:57:18 PM

I still say bull until the final reviews are there
the scores are still almost identic to those seen in dailytech's...

and I still cant believe the hd2900 would do THAT badly in certain games, specially some shader intensive ones such as FEAR.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 6:07:20 PM

Blah blah, you're talking out your sphyncter again until the reviews come out.

For someone who always complains about people not having a GTX or SLi setup and bad-mouthing them, you sure talk a big game for someone without an HD2900 as well.

So either stick to your own rules or STFU! :roll:
May 9, 2007 6:11:43 PM

Quote:

No-one will make a final conclusion for the R600 though until we see a DX10 bench.

No not true. DX9 games will still rule the masses for a good while longer so DX9 performance is probably more important than DX10 for the time being.

I'm no fanboi, I'm running a C2D with an Nvidia card... however, the days of DX10 are certainly here for this cycle. With the 8800 one could legitimately point out that DX10 was a long ways off, but not anymore. Vista SP1 and the first batch of DX10 games will be out by the time these cards hit mainstream. Then we'll really know whether the 2900's can compete with semi-DX10 of the 8800's... and for AMD's sake, I sure hope they do.

Unlike the 8800's, these cards are built from the ground up for DX10. It seems at least reasonable that we could see a major difference in DX10 titles.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 6:14:34 PM

Legit from Croatia on a site that didn't even publish the driver versions ? :roll:

Or were you talking about the site that admitted they didn't have the real deal (DT)?

Until you have something more credible than the level 505 style reviews, you're going on vapours boy.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 6:17:19 PM

Yeah and if the Xfired HD2900s beats the GF8800s and you don't buy one after all your BS, then we know it's about selling what you got, not buying what's best like you always say you do.
May 9, 2007 6:34:17 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me, Fanboyz will never let up. Until a DX10 bench, we won't hear the end of it.

& you my lad sound like an nvidia fanboy, so takes one to know one eh :) 

Also some people are extremely melodramatic, ATI buggered if one card doesn't perform!!!!omgzzzz!!!! are you guys actually insane to the point you need locked up?
May 9, 2007 6:35:40 PM

Can't we all just get along and wait for the real deal? :?
May 9, 2007 6:38:28 PM

Quote:

I know we all should, but some of the criticism is pure anal & folks take every review/preview they see as pure gospel truth... lemmings anyone?
May 9, 2007 6:39:22 PM

Quote:

Sorry too many fanbois around here for that, unfortunately...

Amazing 5-10% means nothing for an advantage, till it is "THEIR" product that has that lead, then it means everything.

Fanbois suck.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 6:40:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah and if the Xfired HD2900s beats the GF8800s and you don't buy one after all your BS, then we know it's about selling what you got, not buying what's best like you always say you do.

It better be more than a measily 5-10% after 7months or your right

Why? nVidia couldn't get much more out after 7 months, and theirs costs almost twice as much.

I thought you were looking for the best performance at insane AA, (on a monitor that's probably not even calibrated enough to show the diff between 4X and 8X). What happened to that, or was it simply to justify to yourself spending the money?

Quote:
, it will not be worth my time to switch out motherboards and video cards (plus the likely need for a new PSU to feed hungry bitches) for a few FPS. :lol: 

Time?
WTF are you talking about, you recommend that all the time to people that their GF7900GTXs and X1950XTs aren't worthy they must change now, for just a few fps.
Using time as an excuse is pretty lame.

Quote:
It better win out by a damn mile or ATI is fuked.

Well I think you mean AMD, but in any case, we've discussed this before, the e-P3n1$ high end doesn't matter much compared to the mid-range, AMD gets the mid-range, and low end, but loses the top, they'll still come out ahead.

So while they may or may not have the top dog it won't matter as much as the sales of the middle as to whether they're fuked or not.

You wanna believe these early poorly constructed reviews that's fine, just like people can believe the InQ's comments on nV's poor drivers. I'm sure you'll treat them both as equally valid, right?!? :mrgreen:
May 9, 2007 6:53:52 PM

what bothered me about IT's review is the listed the hardware used to test the cards. But they never said which parts we're used for the benchmarks they used. They just said here's the hardware, heres the benchmarks. The problem with that is they listed both AM2 and C2D system but failed to list what benchmark went with which system build. For all we know they could've used AM2 with the R600 and C2D with the nVidia's.

A review of that quality needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just wait 5 days for someone who knows how to do a proper review.
May 9, 2007 6:57:41 PM

Quote:
what bothered me about IT's review is the listed the hardware used to test the cards. But they never said which parts we're used for the benchmarks they used. They just said here's the hardware, heres the benchmarks. The problem with that is they listed both AM2 and C2D system but failed to list what benchmark went with which system build. For all we know they could've used AM2 with the R600 and C2D with the nVidia's.

A review of that quality needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just wait 5 days for someone who knows how to do a proper review.

u should read the article again m8, it states clearly that all the tests this wednesday were on the AM2, they'll test on a 975 chipset next time.
May 9, 2007 7:10:02 PM

Quote:

No-one will make a final conclusion for the R600 though until we see a DX10 bench. Everyone will be saying "what about that crazy shader output that the R600 can do." -- "it's designed for DX10"

So even come the 14th it won't be over.

lool, well some people would like to be able to play other games also besides DX10 while getting the best and it seems Nvidia will have the crown there. It's like all the fanboys are going "It's still good, it's still good!". I'm more towards Nvidia but i would like to see the R600 beat it because I have been waiting all the time to get a card for my new computer and i was hopeing that this would be my first ATI cause it was supose to BLOWWW the GTX out of the Water but all i see is people blaming it on drivers while Nvidia or making [slowly] but even better drivers. 5 more days ^_^
May 9, 2007 7:35:28 PM

I am far from a fanboy. This is the first Nvidia card I've ever owned. I just get whatever performs better. I was just commenting on the people who will not give up until there is a DX10 bench and will say that everything up to then doesn't matter.
May 9, 2007 8:01:21 PM

All things considered and objectivley considering the data, it does look like Nv is looking to be the winner here for a couple of reasons:

By the time people can actually get their hands on a 2900, it will be 7 months later than the release of its closer competitor. One would expect with this amount of time, ATI would have built a card that has significant performance advantages of G80, which it doesn't appear to have. In fact, if the pre-NDA reviews are somewhat accurate, 2900 performs on par or a little worse thatn 8800 gts at res/IQ levels where the majority play.

At release time, you will be able to pick up an 8800 gts 640 for around $350. 2900s will remain around or above $400 for at least a couple weeks after release. The price/performance ratio is not in ATI's favor (again, pre-NDA reviews granted).

2900 may well perform better in DX10 than in DX9. All well and good. However, we don't have any DX10 titles and won't until at least Q3. Even then, there will only be a handful of DX10 titles. Most games will rely on DX9 for a good while. In fact, G90 and R700 may be around by the time DX10 games arrive en masse.

Finally, if initial indications are to be believed, power draw and heat for a 2900 xt seems to be above that of an 8800 gtx.

That's, at least, my deux centimes.
May 9, 2007 8:09:30 PM

I'd debate you Rob, but everytime I do you have to go out and get a new handle and start from scratch.

It's terribly confusing for us forum members, so I'll let you live for a little while and get used to your name. But watch your mouth, nnkay?

If you can't have a discussion without using obscenities, I'm going to have to lay the smack down on you again. :twisted:
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 8:29:10 PM

Quote:

Why? nVidia couldn't get much more out after 7 months, and theirs costs almost twice as much.

ROTFLMAO so you are telling me that the 8800GTX was only 5-10% faster than anything on the market after it was released :lol: 

Keep talking Ape, the more you talk the stupider you look. :roll:

If you think I was talking about the GTx, then you are extremely ignorant, or overly obtuse for Fanboi effect.

Quote:
APE stfu :roll: I mean really :roll: I dont think anyone here is going to disagree that there needs to be more than a measly 5-10% gain in performance to warrant a person throwing out their entire MB and Video cards in order to get a few more FPS :roll:

Most people wouldn't but based on your banjoo kazooey all the GF7900GTX/X1900 suck comments for cards that give little performance boost for the dollar for the people asking. I don't wanna hear your excuses. If you don't upgrade you're no longer uber like you say you are.

Quote:
There is more of a difference than just a few FPS from a X1950XT or a 7900GTX to a 8800GTX :roll: I cannot even believe you are saying this :lol:  Your trying to make it sound as if the difference is like comparing a 2900XT to a 8800GTX ROTFLMAO :lol: 

And there's more than just a few fps difference between the G80 and R600, but you're focusing on that, just like you do in your recommendations and remarks to people who have capable rigs, where you take their statements of 'suffiicient' to mean 'killer uber'. Well I thought you weren't about 'sufficient' or else you've been doing alot of BS recommending to people who have a card that's sufficient for their needs until DX10 comes out. C'mon, play by your own rules or else stop giving out advice about everyone upgrading to dual GF8800GTXs in SLi.

Quote:
I think there is more difference here than just 5-10% douchbag. The 8800GTX is up to 50% faster in some games. :roll:

Your link are very pretty, but in the recommendation where people have 1280x1024, the difference is nowhere nearthat, yet you still talk as if their current rig is crap because they don't want to upgrade until they need to in DX10. Well if your rig is bested by even 5-10% (and it looks like more than 50% in DX10 since we're talking about these pre-release benchies) then really why so different. Don't tell me it's time, here's no consideration for that with those who have capable current rigs, so if yours gets beat you'll be a mere mortal again. Seriously it'll be just another weak former rig, beaten not only by the AMD offerings but by nV's own offerings.

Quote:
I will agree however to those that have waited this long you might as well wait a few more days before making your decision.

Or at least until we have some benchmarks from even the source you seem to love to quote alot (FS), once they and Xbit and Digit-Life review, then we will have a real picture of things. Until then that remote asian site says the GF8800 suck, and that remot Croatian site say the HD2900 sucks, and DT just says they don't have actual release hardware, clocks or drivers.

Quote:
I purchased my 8800's back in NOV and it has been well worth it. 7months of pure gaming OWNAGE.

I never said it wasn't and have recommended them from day 1, but I also don't pretend that these poor leak benchies are anywhere near worthy of any comments on the future.

The difference you don't seem to get, is not everyone wants nor needs the GF8800GTX, and your comments about the GTS-320 show it's not just an nV AMD thing, which is why I never call you an nV fanboi, because I know what it comes down to is you needing to reaffirm your choices, by saying yours is #1 and that's all there is.

I'm interested to see what happens when it shows that Juarez with DX10 is faster on the AMDs, if that's the case will you jump for the 5% or even -5% in DX9 games to get that +20% in the one game or will you simply write it off as an exception to the rule, like NFS:Carbon for most people?

Personally I just find it funny that for somone who claims to be so unbiased you are so embracing of the early and obviously flawed reviews. To me that shows more insecurity in your position than simple enjoyement of what you have. you seemto feel you have to prove something, and it doesn't do antyhing for me, but obviously you get something out of it as you keep comng back after flaming out.

Why you can't own your rig and be objective at the same time is beyond me.

Oh, and BTW, to help you out in case you couldn't figure it out above, the 7mth card from nV was the GF8800U, not your beloved GTXs, so don't worry your GTX were still worth the money if you need more affirmations. Whether or not SLi was worth it depend son if you actually do have your moitor properly calibrated to begin with like I said. :tongue:
May 9, 2007 8:29:35 PM

Quote:
Then we'll really know whether the 2900's can compete with semi-DX10 of the 8800's... and for AMD's sake, I sure hope they do.

If I plan to play the upcoming dx10 games with full dx10 effects do I need to upgrade my semi-dx10 card? I would love to read where the info came from so I can decide if I should upgrade to a full dx10 card. Link?
May 9, 2007 8:45:01 PM

biggest problem i have with those benchies: comparing the scores to a x1950xtx.......... (thanx for posting AGAIN rob).. the x2900xt can`t be THAT close to a x1900 series!

if this is the true performance of those cards they better burn them and start over.

dx10 will be better perhaps but not that much to catch up with a gts (let alone gtx) and it`s a bad excuse.
shader intensive games (like oblivion and stalker) should benefit anyway.

so these MUST ne fake or bad or we can buy these cards for 200 dollars/euro`s on sale this summer (wich is a GOOD thing afterall :lol:  )

i say we pray... . competition should allways be there!
May 9, 2007 8:48:38 PM

looks like ati still has some driver problems

people if ati doesnt fix its drivers then we wont see affordable good performing dx10 cards (except for 8800gts 320) for a while

i sure hope it does better in dx10 performance wise. Maybe thats what ati is going for?

I still think releasing dx10 this early was a waste of time and money, by the time dx10 becomes mainstream ati and nvidia will already have another series out.
May 9, 2007 8:58:44 PM

Legit reviews should be out soon.
May 9, 2007 9:05:59 PM

Quote:

I am done with you APE.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll wager that if you reply Ape, he'll still respond...

This is one of those argument-ending tactics that doesn't really work when you say it at the end of every second post you make. :lol: 
May 9, 2007 9:10:04 PM

Quote:
I'd debate you Rob, but everytime I do you have to go out and get a new handle and start from scratch.

It's terribly confusing for us forum members, so I'll let you live for a little while and get used to your name. But watch your mouth, nnkay?

If you can't have a discussion without using obscenities, I'm going to have to lay the smack down on you again. :twisted:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 9, 2007 9:10:49 PM

Heheh. Indeed!
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 11:49:10 PM

Quote:

Blah blah blah APE :roll: Continue to post your GREAT WALL OF TEXT

Yes, at least I use the power of my own words, whereas you use the great wall of stolen bandwidth jpegs because you have no strength in your own words.

Quote:
and continue to try and squirm your out of all the facts that have slapped you right in face :lol: 

If you ever post a worthy fact Robbie-boy then I'll smack myself in disbelief. 8O

Let me just boil down the 'wall of text' for you;

I just find it funny that for someone who claims to be so unbiased you are so embracing and promotional of the early and obviously flawed 'reviews'. You work hard to promote them as if they had any more credibility than the level505 review.

To me that shows more insecurity in your position than simple enjoyment of what you have. You seem to feel you have to prove something to yourself and everyone else, and it doesn't do anything for me, but obviously you get something out of it as you keep coming back after flaming out. Obviously you didn't get enough attention as a child.

Nice and concise for you. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2007 11:55:12 PM

Quote:

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll wager that if you reply Ape, he'll still respond...

Yeah I know, so I didn't add much new.

Not that he's added much new in the last 3 personas he's taken on either though. :roll:
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2007 12:12:36 AM

If the 2900's come out firing in cf and in DX10 then it HAS to be the UBEREST setup. Anyways, its funny only 5 days and we are still getting the "should I buy the 88 now" thing. Like I saids earlier, they didnt shut down the supposed problem with AA and AF, they didnt do CF vs SLI, and only on one OS? Theres sooo many holes and soooo many variances in these "so called" benches to me it was a wasted teaser. And why in CoH did it totally kick arse? THESE BENCHES, the way theyre done, SUCK
May 10, 2007 1:12:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, at least I use the power of my own words, whereas you use the great wall of stolen bandwidth jpegs because you have no strength in your own words.

Not true, he knows how to say ********, ****, and *****'****.
May 10, 2007 1:29:14 AM

Quote:
This is a review we've been waiting for.

IT-review's R600

Enjoy!!!!!! :lol: 

Interesting. While not very thorough it shows the ATI typical performance. Compared to the Nvidia cards the 2900s performance doesn´t break in as bad once the resolution and AA get turned up. The older x1xxx series showed the very same in benchmarks when compared to the 7xxx series.
This may be an indicator that once the new card gets a little driver opimization it won´t be the underperformer some preliminary "benchmarks" by DT made me believe.
That´s just my opinion though - a few benchmarks by some shady character aren´t going to suffice for anything conclusive.

Well, until it is released, if it is released, i will stick to believing that it´s just a myth like the loch ness monster. 8)
May 10, 2007 1:37:27 AM

Quote:

It´s like Jekyll and Hide. Once you start posting this learning impaired figure shows up. Must be one of the benefits of writing for THG. I wish i had groupies too. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2007 1:39:53 AM

Quote:

Not true, he knows how to say ********, ****, and *****'****.

LOL yeah ape and cleeve seem to be taking care of
(Slobmyknob).

:oops:  i mean rob or slirob or what ever dufuses name is this week :roll:
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2007 2:15:12 AM

Watch out i am robsx2 uh err wait slinrob no I will slob your knob.
I have g80,s in sli which makes me king.
Dont mess with me or else.

:lol: 
May 10, 2007 2:52:27 AM

I wouldnt trust this review as far as you could throw it. Dailytech is about as far as I would go for a piece of hardware that hasnt truly been released yet. Here we go with the fanboyism and the words L33t, STFU, ZOMG, etc etc. Wait a little while longer when Guru 3D, HardOCP and the other guys do a true thorough review.

This review is too fishy because they dont list what software they used, the methods in how they achieved those becnhmarks, what drivers they used etc etc. This review seems more biased towards the 8xxx series. If what is true that the COH was the only bechmark that outperformed but was not counted because of poor AA/AF, why even bother with it. For now it's all up in the air.
May 10, 2007 3:12:47 AM

I'd chime in to call you a moron, but you keep doing it to yourself, so it doesn't seem fair...

Oh wait, I think I just did it anyway. :twisted:
May 10, 2007 3:16:14 AM

Idiocy is common nowadays. I'll admit if your calling me an idiot that I am one sometimes. But eh, what can you do. =-P
May 10, 2007 3:21:59 AM

No No, not at all, look at the "in reply too" line. I was talking about everyones favorite troll. So, unless you are another of Robs incarnations, it was not directed at you. Sorry for any confusion.
!