chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Does anyone have any tips for resetting a DSL modem? I keep going over my relative's house and then I have to wait 40 minutes for tech support to help me. Their union won't let them tell me how to do something because they would be out of a job. They simply tell me to do different steps and I still don't understand why I'm doing what I'm doing to get re-connected.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
But here is what might reset it. Unplug it from the power outlet, wait ten seconds and plug it back in.

You could also check for the manual online. BTW, your relatives should be getting a discount. Every 40 min lost by these shenanigans could be discounted from their bill. Keep a written account of how long, the times and the date this happens. And then send a letter to the internet company (could be the phone or cable company) telling them you demand a discount. That should stop whats going on.

I have a cable modem, but on mine there is tiny button on the back that you press. It's set into the case a little, so you have to use something like a pen, pencil, or tiny screwdriver to press it. Don't know about yours, but on mine just unplugging won't do it, it has a battery inside (not removable)that keeps it "on" for several hours after you unplug it.

airoh69

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
If you are refering to release your ip, just go to start ->run-> type cmd->enter->type ipconfig /release.
this will release you ip and then type ipconfig /renew so you can get an ip address.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
sounds like your takeing the line out of the computer and putting it in different hardware. each time you break the line, you have to reset the modem. to do this, unplug the power cord and leave it for about 20seconds. plug it back in and that should be it. what does tech actually do. is someone comming over to manulaly reset the modem, or are they sending out a code?