How to install ie on a pc without modem

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Modem
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 13, 2011 3:26:48 PM

I am trying to upgrade to ie 5.5 or 6.o without a dial up modem using 98se on the demand of a friend how can I get past the serch for modem and when I try and download 5.5 or 6 ie it says not enough memory it has 1 gb ddr whats up?

More about : install modem

April 15, 2011 2:00:05 AM

There's a "bug" with Win 98 that gives you out of memory errors with more than 512MB of RAM. If you Google "Win 98 512MB limit workaround" that should get you the solution you need. Also, if you don't have a modem, how are you connecting to the internet? If you are already connected, then the modem isn't necessary.
m
l
April 15, 2011 4:43:07 PM

Zoron said:
There's a "bug" with Win 98 that gives you out of memory errors with more than 512MB of RAM. If you Google "Win 98 512MB limit workaround" that should get you the solution you need. Also, if you don't have a modem, how are you connecting to the internet? If you are already connected, then the modem isn't necessary.

It is accepting 1 gb ddr. And I do have a lan connection with firefox 1.5 installed. Firefox is the way I posted but when I click on ie it gives me set up dial-up modem cancel next I have loaded ie 5 or 6 before and it didn't give me that message When I try to install ie 5..6 it says not enough mem.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2011 11:54:20 PM

Are you trying to install ie 6. sp1?

Is the 98SE fully updated?

I have some germ of a memory (this is going back a long way, so take my memory for what it's worth!) that to get IE running on 98 with +512MB you had to install a specific kernel patch or something.
m
l

Best solution

April 16, 2011 1:44:39 AM

Accepting or not... I'm telling you... there is a bug in 98 with more than 512MB of RAM. You will see out of memory errors with various programs. There is a simple modification that has to be made to the WIN.INI or some other file that will fix the out of memory problems. As for the modem, run the connection wizard and manually install a fake modem. Once that wizard completes, it shouldn't bother you again... it is the Internet Connection Wizard and was one of the annoying things about Win 98... along with the 512MB limit.

Trust me... Google it... just because 98 boots with 1GB of RAM, doesn't mean it will function flawlessly.
April 27, 2011 4:09:03 PM

Best answer selected by dlee2010.
m
l
!