Vista 64 driver install issue for P5K Deluxe

redrob2

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for helping in advance. I'll try to be short and to the point here. I'm installing Vista 64 fresh on a new built machine but get stuck durring the install when it prompts me and says that "CD/DVD drivers are missing". The following is my setup:

Asus P5K Deluxe (latest bios) ■
e6750 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo ■
dual channel OCZ RAM (2 GB) ■
ATI Radeon 2600 XT (HIS overclocked model) ■
Pioneer 112D DVD (IDE) ■
500 GB Seagate 7200.10 (SATA) ■

I have tried using 2 other DVD drives, and switching it from primary to secondary ... no luck there. The DVD and HD are recognizing when I am supposed to browse for drivers so they can be seen by the system. I've also tried downloading updated drivers for my mobo but it still isn't working. I'm at a loss now. Any thoughts on what this might be? Any help would be very much appreciated!

-Rob

Solution
After reading your explanation, I couldn't think of any obvious thing that would cause this, so I did some research. This appears to have been a common problem with VMWare, and although you are dealing with a real install I looked into that issue as it is identical. Apparently the issue (at least in the VM case) involves Vista seeing the drive fine originally, but thinks you have a 2nd drive during the install that doesn't exist physically (similar to code 41 error).

I added that knowledge back into the search and found some people had success with using older DVD drives. You said you tried other drives but you didn't mention brand/age. The more general solutions involved SATA drives (at least one of yours, the first, is IDE)...
After reading your explanation, I couldn't think of any obvious thing that would cause this, so I did some research. This appears to have been a common problem with VMWare, and although you are dealing with a real install I looked into that issue as it is identical. Apparently the issue (at least in the VM case) involves Vista seeing the drive fine originally, but thinks you have a 2nd drive during the install that doesn't exist physically (similar to code 41 error).

I added that knowledge back into the search and found some people had success with using older DVD drives. You said you tried other drives but you didn't mention brand/age. The more general solutions involved SATA drives (at least one of yours, the first, is IDE), already-installed Vista (filter issue), or the media itself - either a bad commercial DVD, or a poorly burned backup (possibility).

The only thing I've turned up so far, otherwise, is related to an Intel driver, with the full solution listed here:
http://www.vistabanter.com/7879-re-vista-install-needs-dvd-drive-driver.html

I'll keep looking later and update on this thread if I find more solutions.

Solution