Vista internet access problem (possible NIC incompatibility) question

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I installed Vista on an “older” desktop to take if for a spin (P4 2.4GZH 1.5GB RAM). Unfortunately, I have a problem: I can’t get internet access. I believe the problem is due to the fact that a PCI NIC card was added when the motherboard NIC card stopped working, and this NIC card might be incompatible with Vista. Everything works with Win XP. Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem? Thanks.

You should look for a Vista driver, if possible, although Vista in general should detect most ethernet cards with a basic driver. Check device manager to see if it reports needing a driver for the device. If it already has one, go to network and sharing in the control panel, then manage connections and right-click for properties on the LAN connection. Uncheck IPv6 for compatibility reasons. If it requires a driver and you can't locate a Vista one, you can try manually/forcing a XP driver (via device manager), or if the driver has an installer run it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode (under properties, compatibility tab).