Solved

Vista internet access problem (possible NIC incompatibility) question

I installed Vista on an “older” desktop to take if for a spin (P4 2.4GZH 1.5GB RAM). Unfortunately, I have a problem: I can’t get internet access. I believe the problem is due to the fact that a PCI NIC card was added when the motherboard NIC card stopped working, and this NIC card might be incompatible with Vista. Everything works with Win XP. Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about vista internet access problem possible incompatibility question
  1. Best answer
    Really the only way is to see if there is updated drivers for your NIC card, or try a new card.
  2. You should look for a Vista driver, if possible, although Vista in general should detect most ethernet cards with a basic driver. Check device manager to see if it reports needing a driver for the device. If it already has one, go to network and sharing in the control panel, then manage connections and right-click for properties on the LAN connection. Uncheck IPv6 for compatibility reasons. If it requires a driver and you can't locate a Vista one, you can try manually/forcing a XP driver (via device manager), or if the driver has an installer run it in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode (under properties, compatibility tab).
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Access NIC Windows Vista