Sign in with
Your question

Fedora 8 installation issue

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Fedora
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 8, 2007 5:42:55 PM

I'm in the process of trying to install Fedora 8 to dual-boot with WinXP, but am having problems doing so.

the problem i'm having is this: the installer gets to:

probing for video card...[found nVidia 8800 GTX]
waiting for xserver to start
log located in tmp/ ...

the display goes blank, and the machine, as far as i can tell, becomes unresponsive.

What might be going wrong here, and how can I fix it? (in noob-friendly language please)

Thanks,

Joe

======
AMD Athlon 4800+ processor
nVidia 8800 GTX video card

More about : fedora installation issue

December 8, 2007 9:28:46 PM

When you get to the Fedora 8 initial install screen immediately after you boot from the DVD select a text install and follow the prompts.

You can also try an old VGA you may have laying around.

After the install is done install the livna rpms and the nvidia driver and enjoy :) 

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
December 9, 2007 12:04:54 AM

thanks -- I'll give it a whirl :-)
Related resources
December 9, 2007 12:36:37 PM

If that doesn't work come on back :) 

Or try ubuntu 7.10.

Both Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10 are quite good :) 

I know this sounds crazy but you can use both on the same system, nothing wrong with triple booting :D 
December 13, 2007 5:09:00 PM

thanks, linux_0 - your solution did indeed work.

if i have any other questions, i'll be back.

re: triple-booting: so as to not thoroughly overwhelm my poor little mind, i think i'll get my feet wet with Fedora first, then try some of the other Linux distros after i have a better sense of what i'm doing.

thanks again for your help!
December 16, 2007 12:45:40 AM

This is just a thought, but if you would like to try out multiple linux distros and you do not wish to do the multiboot dance (dual booting isn't that bad and multibooting shouldn't be that much worse), what you can do is go and grab yourself a free copy of VMware Server from their website and install it under either Linux or windows and then from there it will pretty much guide you through all the steps to install and setup virtual machines with guest operating systems that you can play with.

This was pretty easy to do and it doesn't require a whole lot of computer muscle (my dad's 5 year old laptop could do it), but even if it did, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Good luck.

-Zorak
December 16, 2007 6:49:34 PM

VMware software - i'll make note of that. thanks, Joe
January 17, 2008 5:19:07 AM

There are some good fedora 8 setup guides that will get most of your desktop running with media and such. Search with google will turn up several. Most of the commands are cut and paste, which will make your life easier if your new to linux.
!