Need help for new build

nexgenmax

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Hi all, this my first time posting here. I have the following components:

Mother board: Asus P5N-E SLI
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Video Card : EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked
Memory : Patriot eXtreme 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 (PDC22G6400LLK)
Power supply: Seasonic S12 650w
Case : Antec Nine hundred

I set up everything on the board, turn it on and no signal to the monitor. Then I check the following : power to the motherboard, cpu power, video card power, swapped out DVI converter and made sure the memory are plugged in correctly. Turn the power on again, this time only the power only last 3 seconds.

I exchanged the motherboard and cpu. Set everything in, then the same thing happen. First the power will turn on normally, but I got no signal to the monitor. I turned it off try to make sure are everything plugged in then turn it on again, this time the same thing happen. The power only turns on for 3 sec then it shut off.

I feel so stupid since I've been building computers for awhile now and I never had any already set up system.

I'm going to swap out the power supply today... and I'm getting a different brand and different latency on the memory...

Any suggestion? Thx for reading.

Findail

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
That Patriot memory takes 2.2V, but the motherboard by default only pumps out 1.8V to the RAM. That may be the problem, though I wouldn't swear by it. If you want to check, first try getting into the BIOS. If you get in, go to Extreme Tweaker, to Overvolt and up the voltage on the memory to 2.2V. If it won't even let you get that far, try taking out one stick of RAM and see if you can get into the BIOS.

Disclaimer: Check the package for your RAM to make sure it's 2.2V, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same stuff I just put in 6 days ago.

nexgenmax

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Alright, some progress from last night...
With some help of 2Gb Corsair XMS memory 5-5-5-15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145566, I was able to get into the bios.

Findail: you're right, the patriot extreme are indeed running on 2.2V.

I haven't done any tweaking yet, but i was able to get in. I have installed the OS and a driver for my 8800gts, but didn't get a chance to do any tweaking.

I haven't done much overclocking, I would need some advices to do this. My first question:

Which memory stick I should keep? The Corsair XMS or the Patriot Extreme? In overclocking, what's a stable setting I should use? I will read some more on overclocking topic in this forums, but if you guys have a link, that'll be great.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.