p5w dh deluxe board orientation question

mk11232

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Please forgive me if this question has an obvious answer.

I plan to rebuild/upgrade my new comp using a qx6800 on a asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard. The board cools the nb using a heatpipe solution. When normally installed, the heatpipe orientates upwards, however, I want to install the board in a Lian Li PC-V2100B Plus II.

When installing in this case the motherboards orientation is "upside down" meaning that the pci slots are at the top of the machine. This means that now the boards heatpipe orientates downwards. If I install the board like this will I experience heat problems with the nb, and if so, will I need to replace the heatpipe with a different cooling solution?

I would not worry about it. the heat pipe would not be effected by gravity it will transfer heat at any orientation. Techically upsidedown would be better since the north bridge cooler is situated under the CPU and if it were upside down the heat from it would not radiate upward to the cpu cooler.

Dude dont worry about it trust me. Plus good case glow would trump any minus issues with radiant heat.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I would not worry about it. the heat pipe would not be effected by gravity it will transfer heat at any orientation. Techically upsidedown would be better since the north bridge cooler is situated under the CPU and if it were upside down the heat from it would not radiate upward to the cpu cooler.

Dude dont worry about it trust me. Plus good case glow would trump any minus issues with radiant heat.

I back that. Although technically it is always better to allow for free space above a heat source since heat rises upwards, I don't think you should worry about this unless you are planning to make this an extreme machine with overclocking to the limit etc...