Closed Solved

Documents folder is broken...

I've just created a serious problem and have no idea how I did it: somehow, the Documents folder for my profile has become un-registered (?) from Vista. How to explain... OK, well first off, the folder is definitely still there. I can go to my user folder (C:\Users\Moridin\) and the Documents folder is there. I can open it, and everything is where it should be. The problem is that when I (for example) go to the start menu and click on 'Documents' nothing happens. I right click and pick properties, and it gives me a blank property sheet (http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/38/wtfui2.png). Also, in games that store saves in that folder, the saves are no longer available. The saves are still there in the folder, but are no longer picked up by/visible from the game. You could say that this is driving me insane...

I tried cutting and pasting the folder and it didn't work. Then I tried cutting the folder, making a new one, and pasting the contents of the old into the new. Nadda. I also looked around in the registry for any kind of value that tells Vista where the folder is, but I can't find one. I have no idea how to fix this...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about documents folder broken
  1. Come on, anyone???
  2. Inside your user folder, where all the green folders are, right-click on Documents and then select Properties. Click the Location tab and you will see the ability to move it or restore default.
  3. Best answer
    Oh, and additionally, the registry key is at:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Us er Shell Folders

The key is "Personal" and the value is "%USERPROFILE%\Documents"
  4. Wow, thanks. I'd given up hope of ever getting a response from this thread. Patience is a virtue, I guess... Well, anyway, the registry mod worked so I'm back in business. A big TY for the assistance.
    :bounce: :D :bounce:
  5. Thanks for replying and letting us know it worked...honestly I just peeked around the registry and looked for it, guess it paid off. Glad to hear you're good to go!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista