Visionman AMD Gaming PC - Any good?

zuidlimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Hi to all of you.
I am a 75 year (young) man and would like to buy a gaming computer so that I will be able to play FSX.
Will the following system give a good performance?
TigerDirect has it listed for $1899.00

Visionman AMD Gaming PC
AMD64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz Processor
Dual-Core, 64-bit
4GB High-Speed Dual-Channel DDR2-667 Memory
20X LiteOn Dual Layer DVDRW
16X Sony DVDROM
NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB PCI-Express Video Card
Ready for SLI – Just add another video card!
Dual Western Digital 250GB SATA-2 HDD’s
RAID 0 for Ultimate Speed
(4) SATA I-II / (1) x16 PCIe / (1) x1 PCIe / (2) PCI
22-in-1 Media Reader
Onboard 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
Onboard High Definition 8-Channel Audio
(2) USB 2.0 Ports - Upgradeable to 8 Ports!
Windows Vista Ultimate
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse
Smilodon Gaming Tower
550 Watt Power Supply

Thank you for any recommendations or advice.

Bill

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
The system looks pretty good, however it may be cheaper to buy all of the parts separately. Newegg.com is usually a little cheaper. Here are some things I would change:

Go with this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065 perhaps get 4gb's if you want.

Perhaps go with a storage drive such as this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148135

I'm also wondering what kind of motherboard it comes with and what PSU it comes with. (Specifications)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Not sure why they're using DDR 667 rather than DDR 800 RAM, unless it were a 939 board and I think all X2 5600 are AM2. I agree with erocker, you should look into building. Less expensive at the price you're looking at, you are sure of having the best parts, if you have any problems, you have the confidence to fix it, your warranty will be better, most parts are warranted from 3 years to life time, and it's a fun thing to do. Granted I was a young pup when I did my first build, early 60s but you're never too old. :D Go to newegg and check out a couple of ASUS, MSI, and/or Gigabyte boards both Intel and AMD and check out the manuals. After looking at them, you'll know if you feel comfortable building. At that price point I'd seriously consider an Intel C2D 6600, AMD is good when you're on a tight budget. I'd also stick with XP rather than Vista, which still has some problems. Wouldn't consider Vista until at least Service Pack 1 comes out

zuidlimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Thank you all for your input.

After reading all your comments I did some research and decided not to go with VisionMan AMD Gaming PC. The motherboard "gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4" is not that great. Also it has onboard LAN and Audio. I also read about the problems with Vista. Hope that the release of PS1 will clear-up these problems. I will have to do more research before buying a new system.

Regards

Bill

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
All mother boards now come with on board LAN and audio. The LAN is fine and you can always disable the audio in the BIOS if you're using a separate audio card. If you don't want to build, this is a company to check out. They use name components and don't install crapware like most of the bigger companies. I bought what they call a bundle, mobo, CPU, and RAM, plus a case and assembled it myself, last step before undertaking a complete build. You can buy a fully assembled machine. They send you all the boxes and manuals. They're not necessarily the cheapest company out there but you know what you're getting. Worth looking at

http://www.jncs.com/